replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

Post by John Heuse » Tue, 22 May 2001 08:39:37

Hi,
    Recently I relpaced my cd-rom with a CD-R drive to my Linux computer
system.  To make the computer see the new CD-R drive I added hdc=ide-scsi.
I also added the lines /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi and /sbin/modprobe sg to
my rc.local file.  At bootup is now detected as SCSI  0.0.0, which I think
makes it  /dev/sda.  So far so good.
    Now, the problems.  The computer can no longer mount the drive that I
had configured before.  After the changes I made earlier, I figured the
computer is now looking for a SCSI device, not IDE.  So, I removed the
/dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc link in /dev.   I tried making a  symbllic link for
cdrom  to /dev/sda.  This has not worked either.  As an experiment, I
created /cdrom directory and tried mounting it under that directory
(mount t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom).  This returns an error message of the
kernel does not recognize /dev/sda as a block device.  Im at a loss as
what to do from here.
    The point of me making these changes to my system was to get it
recognize a new  CD-R I just installed.  Xcdroast sees the CD-R drive, but I
m unable to access the cd-rom drive anymore :-(
    Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

John Heuser

Post by Noble Peppe » Tue, 22 May 2001 09:56:03

> Hi,
>     Recently I relpaced my cd-rom with a CD-R drive to my Linux
>     computer
> system.  To make the computer see the new CD-R drive I added
> hdc=ide-scsi. I also added the lines /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi and
> /sbin/modprobe sg to
> my rc.local file.  At bootup is now detected as SCSI  0.0.0, which I
> think
> makes it  /dev/sda.  So far so good.
>     Now, the problems.  The computer can no longer mount the drive that
> had configured before.  After the changes I made earlier, I figured the
> computer is now looking for a SCSI device, not IDE.  So, I removed the
> /dev/cdrom to /dev/hdc link in /dev.   I tried making a  symbllic link
> for
> cdrom  to /dev/sda.  This has not worked either.  As an experiment, I
> created /cdrom directory and tried mounting it under that directory
> (mount t iso9660 /dev/sda /cdrom).  This returns an error message of
> the
> kernel does not recognize /dev/sda as a block device.  Im at a loss
> as what to do from here.
>     The point of me making these changes to my system was to get it
> recognize a new  CD-R I just installed.  Xcdroast sees the CD-R drive,
> but I m unable to access the cd-rom drive anymore :-(
>     Any help or advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>     Thanks

> John Heuser

I had similar problems, I'm not sure what fixed it but...

Make sure you have scuzi CD enabled in you kernel

Try using /dev/scd0 as the device when you mount

If you figure if one or both of these fix your problem I would
appreciate the info.

replace cd-rom with CD-R / can't find mount CD-R drive

Post by David Dorwar » Tue, 22 May 2001 14:43:50

It seems that on Mon, 21 May 2001 00:39:37 +0100, someone claiming to be

Quote:> Hi,
>     Recently I relpaced my cd-rom with a CD-R drive to my Linux computer
> system.  To make the computer see the new CD-R drive I added
> hdc=ide-scsi. I also added the lines /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi and
> /sbin/modprobe sg to my rc.local file.  At bootup is now detected as
> SCSI  0.0.0, which I think makes it  /dev/sda.  So far so good.

More likely /dev/scd0, although on my system the IDE name continues to
work.

--
David Dorward                               http://www.dorward.co.uk/
The only way to keep your health is to eat what you don't want, drink

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 22 May 2001 18:04:35

> It seems that on Mon, 21 May 2001 00:39:37 +0100, someone claiming to be

>> Hi,
>>     Recently I relpaced my cd-rom with a CD-R drive to my Linux computer
>> system.  To make the computer see the new CD-R drive I added
>> hdc=ide-scsi. I also added the lines /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi and
>> /sbin/modprobe sg to my rc.local file.  At bootup is now detected as
>> SCSI  0.0.0, which I think makes it  /dev/sda.  So far so good.

> More likely /dev/scd0, although on my system the IDE name continues to
> work.

That would be correct if boot messages show it was assigned to sr0.  And
you would most likely record to /dev/sg0 (or 0,0,0) (but don't try to
mount that).

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Linux from Nascent CD-ROM won't mount my panasonic cd-rom drive

        Hi, I just bought the Linux from Nascent CD-ROM and have been attempting
to install it on my 486DX2/66 machine.  I have a cardex SVGA card using a
Cirrus chipset and 1 meg of video ram.  I have 16 megs of 60-ns memory.  I also
have a local bus IDE hard drive controller (32-bit) running two 340-meg
western digital hard drives.  Oh, the video is local bus, too.  I also have
an IOMEGA floptical drive, as well as the almost expected 3.5" and 5.25"
floppies.  I also have a Soundblaster 16 sound card that is driving my CD-drive,
the setup that comes together in a multimedia pack, I forget the exact name,
but it is a fairly standard one.  It is a Panasonic cd-drive by the way.
A panasonic 54- something I think.  When I boot and root my way into Linux,
It won't mount my cd-drive.  Since the program files are all on CD, that
means I can't install.  I followed the instructions for fixing this problemm
in the manual, i.e. "mknod /dev/sbpcd b 25 0"
                    "ln -fs /dev/sbpcd /dev/cdrom"
This looked fine, but when I rebooted, Linux still wouldn't mount my drive.
I even tried getting new root and boot images via anonymous FTP and rawrite.
No dice.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike Van Camp

2. POPCLIENT socket connection refused

4. X problems

5. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

6. Apache Name based host with two names - possible?

7. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM

8. Please help with this Xconfig

9. Problems using cdrecord sd to mount CD-R as CD-ROM

10. CD-ROM Drive/CD-ROM Bundle

11. Won't detect and mount CD-ROM (Yggdrasil, cd-dependent)

12. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM

13. Mounting CD ROM vs. Mounting CD ROM