HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

Post by i93.. » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Okay,,,

Call me stupid if you like, i installed lilo onto my /dev/sda1 partition,
which just happens to be my main DOS drive!!

Now, after doing this, i get an "invalid media error". Is there any way
for me to restore my DOS drive to its former glory (it contains some
courseworks :-(() . Trying to fdisk /mbr from a boot disk does nowt.

Please, Please help..

Please mail directly...

Hoping someone can help..

Dave

HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

Post by Luc Lalond » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hello Dave,

Boot your system with the first DOS diskette but exit before re-installing
DOS again (this is important because the installation program will want to
format your disk). Once you have the "A>" prompt type:

FDISK /MBR

This command will remove LILO from your master boot record.  You'll have to
re-install LILO to get it to work again after this.  Put the first Linux
boot disk in your drive and put this parameter in at boot time:

linux root=/dev/sda?

where sda? is your Linux partition.

Cheers, Luc.

Quote:

> Okay,,,

> Call me stupid if you like, i installed lilo onto my /dev/sda1 partition,
> which just happens to be my main DOS drive!!

> Now, after doing this, i get an "invalid media error". Is there any way
> for me to restore my DOS drive to its former glory (it contains some
> courseworks :-(() . Trying to fdisk /mbr from a boot disk does nowt.

> Please, Please help..

> Please mail directly...

> Hoping someone can help..

> Dave

HELP!! LILO Overwritten Master Boot Record!

Post by Jim Sokolo » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Call me stupid if you like, i installed lilo onto my /dev/sda1 partition,
>which just happens to be my main DOS drive!!

>Now, after doing this, i get an "invalid media error". Is there any way
>for me to restore my DOS drive to its former glory (it contains some
>courseworks :-(() . Trying to fdisk /mbr from a boot disk does nowt.

I won't call you stupid, because you proabably aren't.

If you installed to /dev/sda1, you didn't install it into the master
boot record, you installed it into the boot sector of partition 1. So
of course fdisk /mbr doesn't fix it, as the MBR wasn't the problem.
When you installed LILO, it preserved the old boot sector somewhere
(it tells you), probably something like /boot/boot.98725897145869.

What you need to do is "un-install" lilo's boot sector and replace
DOS's. Read the Lilo-HOWTO and/or the lilo man page. Then, to get lilo
to work right, mark your Linux partition bootable, UNMARK all other
bootable partitions, and install lilo to the boot sector of your Linux
partition.

PS: To boot Linux, use a bootable kernel floppy and boot it with:

LILO: <kernal_name> root=/dev/????

where ???? is the hard drive and partition name of your Linux
installation (/dev/sda2 for the second partition on the first SCSI
disk)

---Jim

1. Help! LILO overwrote my master boot record

I installed Linux in my NT box for experimenting.
I accidently let LILO over wrote my master boot
record. Now I am unbale to boot NT.  This is
what I have (had):
     10 GB IDE drive
        C:\  (2GB)        NT system (NTFS)
        D:\  (5GB)        NT data (NTFS)
        Free space 2.5GB

RedHat 6.1 was installed on the free space.
Since I choosed Workstation install so it
automatically overwrote the MBR. Now I am
left unable to boot back to NT. Could someone
help me to restore MBR so I can boot NT?

I should not install LILO in the MBR but
that was done.  Please help!!

Thanks

Wayne

To response, please send email to

2. subscription

3. Does RH Linux 7.0 overwrite my windwos2000 Master Boot Record?

4. Which ist the best file system for 245 MB?

5. LILO in my Master Boot Record? HELP

6. XEmacs for SCO?

7. Help: reinstalling DOS - LILO - Master Boot Record

8. Recomandations for a newbie

9. lilo setup overwrote win95 boot record

10. Removing LILO from Master Boot Record

11. LILO in Master Boot Record Problem (new?)

12. master boot record -- LILO ATTACK

13. delCMOS.B, master boot record, lilo