problems (minor) with KDE 3.1

Post by Jonat » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 07:58:50

Wasn't sure where to post this one . . .

can't seem to find a KDE newsgroup.

Anyway, I've installed KDE 3.1 (running on SuSE 7.3) and am very impressed
with the general look and feel and performance . . . blah blah blah, all
very lovely.

However, there are a few problems:

1. On the desktop panel thingy, I have my desktops listed by name, but I
can't seem to find anywhere an option to change the type-face for the
desktop names. I've had to restrict the length of each desktop name just so
that I can fit in all the other buttons, the clock and whatnot on the
panel. This is more irritating than anything else. I'm sure the type-face
was never that big when I first installed KDE 3.1. Odd.

2. My session is not automatically remembered when I log off, despite
selecting the option 'KDE Components' >> 'Session Manager' >> 'Restore
Previous Session'. I have to manually 'save session'. Is this a bug?

3. And what else . . . oh yes, I'm opening the file manager in all manner of
other machines, accessible via FTP, which all require passwords. So I click
the 'remember password' button, but all these passwords are completely
forgotten between sessions. Perhaps this is deliberate.

Anyway, that's all, really. I hope I don't sound like I'm whinging too much.
Like I say, it's a definite improvement on 3.0 and the points listed above
are really quite minor. I'm really wondering if anyone else out there has
encountered similar problems and knows of simple solutions to each of
these.

BYE!

problems (minor) with KDE 3.1

Post by ne.. » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 09:48:16

> Wasn't sure where to post this one . . .

> can't seem to find a KDE newsgroup.

comp.windows.x.kde

Quote:> Anyway, I've installed KDE 3.1 (running on SuSE 7.3) and am very impressed
> with the general look and feel and performance . . . blah blah blah, all
> very lovely.

> However, there are a few problems:

> 1. On the desktop panel thingy, I have my desktops listed by name, but I
> can't seem to find anywhere an option to change the type-face for the
> desktop names. I've had to restrict the length of each desktop name just so
> that I can fit in all the other buttons, the clock and whatnot on the
> panel. This is more irritating than anything else. I'm sure the type-face
> was never that big when I first installed KDE 3.1. Odd.

Control Center -> Appearance & Themes -> Fonts I think.

Quote:> 2. My session is not automatically remembered when I log off, despite
> selecting the option 'KDE Components' >> 'Session Manager' >> 'Restore
> Previous Session'. I have to manually 'save session'. Is this a bug?

No, you have to save the session before it can be restored.

Quote:> 3. And what else . . . oh yes, I'm opening the file manager in all manner of
> other machines, accessible via FTP, which all require passwords. So I click
> the 'remember password' button, but all these passwords are completely
> forgotten between sessions. Perhaps this is deliberate.

Pass.

Certified: 55% bastard, 31% of which is tard.
http://www.thespark.com/bastardtest
Please remove '.invalid' to reply.

problems (minor) with KDE 3.1

Post by Jonathan Rawl » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 23:03:32

Quote:>> 3. And what else . . . oh yes, I'm opening the file manager in all manner
>> of other machines, accessible via FTP, which all require passwords. So I
>> click the 'remember password' button, but all these passwords are
>> completely forgotten between sessions. Perhaps this is deliberate.
> Pass.

I don't have 3.1 yet, but this bug/feature also exists in 3.0.x. If it's
deliberate, then I can't see why the option is there at all!

Jonathan

1. kde 3.1 not displaying 3.1 "theme"

Hi,

I have kde 3.1 running on my LFS server. It looks great.

I have an unusual problem though.

I am using this example to clearly show the problem

1.) open exceed (remote X server program) on my windows machine.
2.) telnet into the linux box, set my display to the windows machine ip, and
export DISPLAY.
3.) run startkde

I get a GREAT kde 3.1 desktop, it looks good very pretty etc etc etc.

Infact the desktop looks like this

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/exceed_desktop.bmp (big file could take a
minute to load)

however if I login to the console as the SAME user, I get the same desktop
but in a "less fancy" style

http://alesi.projecthugo.co.uk/console_desktop.png

as you can see they are both the same yet 1 is a little better looking than
the other.

To me this looks like the Console desktop does not have enough colours to
display all the fancy bits ???

Has anyone seen this ?

Know what it is ?

How to fix it ?

thanks,

Matt

2. PPPD Connect Using Broadband Connection (problem)

3. KDE 3.1 RC1/RC2 comparison to KDE 3.0.4

4. New computer

5. 24 bit xwd/xwud (was gwd/guwd) for AIX 3.1 minor fixes...

6. Help on redirecting console message

7. Kdm problems - kde 3.0.3 -> 3.1 upgrade

8. Boot Hang and Debian Ham

9. kde 3.1 and nvidia glx problem

10. "make install" problem (KDE 3.1, kfrontend in kdebase)

11. X Refresh Problems? - Horizontal Noise in KDE 3.1

12. Problems with KDE 3.1 and TightVNC

13. Problem updating to KDE 3.1.1a using apt-get