MORE LILO multiple append woes

Post by Parker Dubberk » Wed, 15 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Thanks to those that responded to my previous post.  I am
trying to pass two boot arguments to LILO at boot:
ether=10,0x260,eth0 and mem=80MB.  If I use this statement:

append = "ether=10,0x260,eth0 mem=80MB"

Linux boots with 80 megs of memory, but I get the message:
Delaying eth0 Initialization. the network card doesn't work.
If I boot with only the "ether" argument the Intel Lan card
works but I have only 65MB of memory. Next I tried:

append = "mem=80MB ether=10,0x260,eth0"

Now I see both of the arguments taking effect in the startup
messages BUT the boot halts with:

VFS: Cannot open root device 60:36
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 60:36

I previously recompiled the Kernel with explicit support for
the Intel EtherExpress card. Should it be this hard to
configure these two variables?  Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,
parker

Post by chri » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Thanks to those that responded to my previous post.  I am
> trying to pass two boot arguments to LILO at boot:
> ether=10,0x260,eth0 and mem=80MB.  If I use this statement:

> append = "ether=10,0x260,eth0 mem=80MB"

> Linux boots with 80 megs of memory, but I get the message:
> Delaying eth0 Initialization. the network card doesn't work.
> If I boot with only the "ether" argument the Intel Lan card
> works but I have only 65MB of memory. Next I tried:

> append = "mem=80MB ether=10,0x260,eth0"

> Now I see both of the arguments taking effect in the startup
> messages BUT the boot halts with:

> VFS: Cannot open root device 60:36
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root FS on 60:36

> I previously recompiled the Kernel with explicit support for
> the Intel EtherExpress card. Should it be this hard to
> configure these two variables?  Am I doing something wrong?

> thanks,
> parker

  Try two different append lines.
one:
            append="mem=80MB"

the other:

            append="ether=10,0x260,ether0"

maybe you already tryed that. I do not know.

1. LILO - Multiple append args

Sorry to re-post this question, I got no response the last
time and cannot find an answer in any of the docs.

I need to pass two arguments to lilo in the lilo.conf file;
ether=10,0x260,eth0 and mem=80MB.  How is this done?  I
can't seem to find
the proper syntax, I always get one argument passed while
the other is
ignored. I've tried commas, slashes, back-slashes, spaces,
tabs and
carriage returns between args and separate append
statements.

Thanks,
Parker

2. Pager Software Recommendation

3. Multiple LILO appends

4. Q: Linux NFS Performance?

5. Does append in LILO really append?

6. RPM and mandrake

7. Multiple append entries in lilo.conf

8. kernel stack too deep

9. multiple lilo.conf append statements

10. lilo.conf - problem with multiple append's

11. Lilo bombs on append line in lilo.conf

12. CD-RW mounting woes in Mandrake 7.0 woe oh woe oh woe!

13. Oh Woe is my lilo [going from loadlin to lilo almost ;(]