Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

Post by S » Mon, 20 May 2002 03:42:13

Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP
site and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

Unfortunately I don't have a DSL/Cable connection, but my friend does.
My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
this right? I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing
this. For example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters
be cut off with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

Thanks In Advance...

Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

Post by Luc » Mon, 20 May 2002 04:39:16

Quote:> Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP
> site and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

> Unfortunately I don't have a DSL/Cable connection, but my friend does.
> My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
> If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
> this right? I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing
> this. For example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters
> be cut off with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

> Thanks In Advance...

Hi,

When you write them to CD, just make sure you use the MS Joliet extensions.
This will maintain the long names.
But not 2 issues here :

1) It more than 4 Gb of data (I hope he doesn't have a monthly limit in his
cable connection, mine is 10Gb :-(( )

2) You will not be able to install it from CD, you will have to copy them
back in the original state as it was on the ftp server (ie files,
directories) and do a Hard Disk install.

If you want the CD version, you will have to buy the whole thing.

Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

Post by Dances With Crow » Mon, 20 May 2002 04:59:16

On 18 May 2002 11:42:13 -0700, SB staggered into the Black Sun and said:

Quote:> Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP site
> and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

Yes.  However, it will be difficult to get a reasonable SuSE CD
installation set this way.  Unless you get the directory structure
exactly right, you won't be able to go through the installation process
successfully.  You probably won't be able to boot the first CD unless
you tell the CD-burning program that /disks/bootdisk on the first CD is
the bootable image and make it create a bootable CD.

Quote:> My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
> If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
> this right?

Go to the local software store and buy a copy of SuSE Personal?  Talk to
a Linux-using friend who has SuSE, and have him burn you a copy?  Unlike
Redhat and Mandrake, SuSE don't make ISO images of their distro
available.  I also hear the alt.binaries hierarchy of Usenet may have
these images somewhere.

Quote:> I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing this. For
> example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters be cut off
> with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

The ISO9660 standard for filesystems on a data CD allows only 32
characters in a filename, the DOS 8+3 convention made a de facto 8+3
rule the standard for filenames in ISO9660.  Fortunately, the Rock Ridge
extensions to ISO9660 have allowed longer filenames, symbolic
links, file permissions, and the like to be stored on a CD.  Windows
doesn't know about Rock Ridge, it uses its own, incompatible extension
called "Joliet" to allow for long filenames on a CD.  Linux can deal
with both extension types.

The SuSE CDs, AFAICT, don't use any of the special features of Rock
Ridge, so you might be OK burning the CDs with just Joliet extensions.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Post by Michael Graesse » Mon, 20 May 2002 06:11:05

> Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP
> site and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

> Unfortunately I don't have a DSL/Cable connection, but my friend does.
> My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
> If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
> this right? I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing
> this. For example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters
> be cut off with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

> Thanks In Advance...

cheerio SB

just thinking ... you take u're maschine at the side
of your friend and try a ftp-installation?

michael

--
Real administration of computers is a privelige of a view people!
So dont step into this large footprint if you are

Post by Dragan Cola » Mon, 20 May 2002 06:46:44

> Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP
> site and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

> Unfortunately I don't have a DSL/Cable connection, but my friend does.
> My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
> If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
> this right? I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing
> this. For example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters
> be cut off with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

> Thanks In Advance...

It's not possible to reconstruct the original CD content from the
installation data on ftp.suse.com without a lot of work and knowledge of
the exact file/directory structure of the original CDs.

Making an installation media would be easy if you had a DVD writer. The
stuff on ftp.suse.com is the same as on the DVD SuSE sells with the
original package.

But it would be an awful work splitting it up correctly to fit on CDs.

It would be easier to just buy the package from SuSE (would give you all
the manuals) or copy it from someone else (what would be totally legal) or
installing it via FTP as someone else suggested earlier.

Dragan

Suse Install files onto CDRs using Win98?

Post by Andre » Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:42:20

A 10GB limit? The miserable bastards!

> > Is it possible to take the Suse installation files from Suse FTP
> > site and burn it onto CDR(s) using a Windows 98 machine?

> > Unfortunately I don't have a DSL/Cable connection, but my friend does.
> > My friend has DSL with a CDRW (EZ CD Creator 3.5) on Windows 98 only.
> > If I was to do this, is there any suggestions out there on how to do
> > this right? I am wondering if the file naming is retained by doing
> > this. For example, will all the file names greater then 8 characters
> > be cut off with the tilda sign (~). Will files come up in all uppercase?

> > Thanks In Advance...

> Hi,

> When you write them to CD, just make sure you use the MS Joliet
extensions.
> This will maintain the long names.
> But not 2 issues here :

> 1) It more than 4 Gb of data (I hope he doesn't have a monthly limit in
his
> cable connection, mine is 10Gb :-(( )

> 2) You will not be able to install it from CD, you will have to copy them
> back in the original state as it was on the ftp server (ie files,
> directories) and do a Hard Disk install.

> If you want the CD version, you will have to buy the whole thing.

1. Linux file burned onto CDR from Win98 machine

I have a question concerning Linux files burned onto a CDR from a
Windows 98 machine.

Here's the convoluted story:

(1) I downloaded StarOffice 5.2 installation file from the Internet
using my friends wonderfully fast cable modem.  His machine is a
Windows 95.

(2) I transferred the StarOffice file from his Windows 95 machine to my
Windows 98 laptop, using his local area network.

(3) I then transferred the StarOffice file from my laptop to my home
Windows 98 machine using my own local area network.

(4) My Windows 98 machine has a CDR that I would like to use to burn
the StarOffice file onto a blank CD.  The software I want to use is the
Easy CD Creator 3.5 to burn the CD.

Will a Redhat Linux 6.2 machine be able to read this CD which has the
StarOffice installation file?  Will there be translation problems
because it was moved from various Windows machine before going to a
Linux machine?

Thanx in advance.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Automating services on startup?

3. Installing onto a Win98/FAT32 partition....?

4. Booting problems!

5. HELP ! HD's not recognised.

6. Using LILO to dual boot Win98 and SuSE

7. Is the ASP mod for Apache good or not??

8. writing system boot message onto (test) wtmpx file using perl

9. Installing Linux onto a second drive using PQs BootMagic 7.0

10. Installing linux using SCSI CD-ROM on PCMCIA card, onto SCSI hard drive

11. RedHat 5.2 install onto Libretto 50ct using nfs?

12. Installing Linux Redhat onto an IBM 701C thinkpad using a parallel port CD-ROM