'less' screwed up

Post by Alberto Longh » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

See if anyone can tell me how to fix this...

When I 'less' any file or use 'man', after the first screenful of text
instead of the ':' prompt I get a beep and something that looks like:

log file: sword:

At that point it gets absolutely key insensitive, just frozen, except
that I can Ctrl-Z and then kill. It used to work perfectly, I must have
screwed up something while doing some stuff as root...

It's not related with the X, because it does the same from the mingetty
terminal, moreover, it does the same with different terminal emulations.
I also tried to reinstall the rpm package... nothing changed. I also
tried to look for recently changed files that could look like settings,
but nothing I can tell. I rebooted the computer... still there.

I'm not an expert (as you guess) and I don't even know what log file can
have to do with less, neither what swords do... except that maybe
'sword' is the tail of 'password', but again what the heck... Anyways I
tried to type either the root password or my user password to it, but as
I told it was frozen.

I use Red Hat 5.1 with all upgrades of RH errata.

The less version I use is:
$ less --version
less  version 332

(RH package: less-332-2.i386.rpm)

I use man all the time and I'm getting tired of opening emacs or xman
for it, and often times I like 'less' much more than 'more', please,
please, if you can, help me

Alberto

PS
Please answer to my personal address.

'less' screwed up

Post by G. Frank Paynte » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Alberto,

run 'rpm -qa | grep less' and tell me what it says.  On my system, I get:

less-332-2

This means the rpm package is installed (and hopefully operating :) ).  When
you 'tried to reinstall, what command did you use, and what happened when
you ran it?  Did you uninstall the 'less' package before trying to
reinstall?

Frank