How painful is it to upgrade from RH 4.2 to RH 6.1?

How painful is it to upgrade from RH 4.2 to RH 6.1?

Post by fcont » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm running RH 4.2 on a pentium machine. There's also a MS-Windows
partiiton (W95). Can I just ask the RH CD rom to upgrade? Or do I have
to repartition the  hard drive again?

Post by Bone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I'm running RH 4.2 on a pentium machine. There's also a MS-Windows
> partiiton (W95). Can I just ask the RH CD rom to upgrade? Or do I have
> to repartition the  hard drive again?

The minimum install that RedHat seems to want is over 200MB. I suppose you
can just install over '4.2, but will you have enough space?

I would back-up everything important in Win95 and '4.2 before undertaking
such a task. You should be able to upgrade easily enough, but some folks
just have bad luck.

----
Bones

Manual, n.:
        A unit of documentation.  There are always three or
more on a given item.  One is on the shelf; someone has the
others. The information you need is in the others.
                -- Ray Simard

Post by Timothy Murp » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I'm running RH 4.2 on a pentium machine. There's also a MS-Windows
>> partiiton (W95). Can I just ask the RH CD rom to upgrade? Or do I have
>> to repartition the  hard drive again?
>I would back-up everything important in Win95 and '4.2 before undertaking
>such a task. You should be able to upgrade easily enough, but some folks
>just have bad luck.

I don't see any necessity to touch the Windows partition,
or to re-partition.

In my experience it was much easier to re-install Linux
when going from RH-4.x to RH-5.y than going the upgrade route.
So I guess that is even truer for 4.x to 6.1 .

In any case, whichever you do you don't need to re-partition.
Either way will use your present partitions if you like.

If it were me, I would delete everything
except /home and any other personal stuff
and re-install.
(It might be worth keeping a copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config
and /etc/hosts if you use that.)

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

How painful is it to upgrade from RH 4.2 to RH 6.1?

Post by Bone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>> I would back-up everything important in Win95 and '4.2 before undertaking
>> such a task...[yada yada]
> I don't see any necessity to touch the Windows partition, or to re-partition.

The setup is probably going to want to tinker with LILO. You may be familiar
enough with it to know what to do, but not everyone will be comfortable
enough to re-configure it to keep Win95 booting, or to mount the Win95
partition and grab stuff off it in case the partition can't be accessed.

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a recent backup of your data when
undertaking any large project.

----