I already RTFM, but am still having problems

I already RTFM, but am still having problems

Post by Thomas A. Spraggi » Sat, 19 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Any hints will be greatly appreciated!

I have the following PC  --

        90 MHz Pentium
        Dolphin 8000 AT Series CD drive (supposedly Sony CDU31A compatible)
                with a port address of 340 (not 300)
        All-in-One Ethernet Card -- NE2000 compatible
        Diamond/Stealth 64 DRAM SVGA card
        AMI BIOS

Hmmm, what else?

I have tried to install Slackware 2.3, but am having the following troubles:

        1) CD drive not recognized; I've tried bootdisks CDU31A, NET and
        a couple of others, and the COLOR144 rootdisk.

        2) Sometimes (depending on the permutation of bootdisks), the system
        will freeze on booting -- I think this has to do with the NE2000
        (with an IO port of 300), but it may be that this has disappeared
        since I went to Slackware 2.3.  (I've been through a LOT of iterations
        with this.)  In any case, I can't get the network stuff to work, other
        than things like telneting to localhost.

        3) It's not obvious which parameters to use to configure the X system,
        but I really haven't gotten this far.

Some other info: I have a 1.2 GBytes disk which I'm using entirely for Linux --
it's in 4 partitions: a 200(?) Meg Linux native drive, to keep the cylinder
numbers low enough; a 20 Meg Linux swap partition; a 200(?) Meg partition
(DOS 16-bit) for the Linux distribution, since I can't read the CD; and a
800 (?) Meg drive which mounts under /usr.  There's bit of *ing and moaning
from fdisk (Partition xx does not start on a cylinder boundary), but all the
files seem to be accessible.

I know there's a file squirreled away someplace with a record of the last boot
on it, but I've forgotten where it lives.

There are very few people at Morse (where I bought the software), and even
fewer who speak clearly.  Can someone give me some clues?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Spraggins

P.S.  Please send e-mail, and I'll summarize

1. Limiting icmp unreach response from 233 to : already RTFM

I'm building a backup DNS box to mirror an existing DNS server.
. But I keep getting the following error
messages on the new box. The explanation seems odd since the error message
comes
immediately. This is the scenario I'm trying to replace on FreeBSD box
running DNS with two ip addresses with a second box. I add both IPs to the
second box bring it up and clear the arp-cache on my cisco router. The box
resolves DNS locally but other local  boxes get failed connections when they
attempt to run DIG . However they are able to ping the
box.

Mar  3 09:33:51 iconn /kernel: Limiting icmp unreach response from 233 to
200 packets per second
Mar  3 09:33:54 iconn /kernel: Limiting icmp unreach response from 216 to
200 packets per second
Mar  3 09:34:01 iconn /kernel: Limiting icmp unreach response from 204 to
200 packets per second
12.25. What are these messages about ``icmp-response bandwidth limit 300/200
pps'' in my log files?

This is the kernel telling you that some activity is provoking it to send
more ICMP or TCP reset (RST) responses than it thinks it should. ICMP
UDP ports. TCP resets are generated as a result of attempted connections to
unopened TCP ports. Among others, these are the kinds of activities which
may cause these messages:

Andrew

2. SCSI Multiple Luns

3. PPP doesn't connect if I'm not root (already RTFM'd!)

4. secure proxy servers

5. Command Line Editing - I already RTFM

6. Clone HD

7. New Ultra 5 and already having problems!

8. <asm/msr.h>

9. G200 -- Already RTFM

10. problems with minicom? (thinks i am already online?)

11. I am having problems with "fvwm2" or Xwindows

12. I am having problems with the 3c905 and the 3c509b with RH 5.0

13. I am having a /proc problem.