block-major...char-major...probs

Post by Silviu Minu » Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Look in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt. This file lists all devices
that linux supports and tells you whather it's a block device or a character
device and the major number. For instance, block-major-8 would be the module
for the scsi drives. If you don't have any scsi device, then I guess you can
just ignore the message, some distributions have scripts that try to load more
modules than they actually need. If you do have a scsi drive, then that drive
won't work if Linux can't find the driver for it. There may be two reasons:
either the module does not exist, in which case you need to recompile the
kernel and include the driver you're missing, (usually you compile it as a
module), or the module exists, but linux can't find it, in which case you need
to create an alias in /etc/conf.modules.

Example: I have a sound blaster sound card, and the driver for it is
/lib/modules/2.2.9/misc/sb.o. Then in my /etc/conf.modules I have a line

alias sound sb

I don't have any scsi devices, nor the other devices whose modules you're
missing, so I can't tell you what they should be aliased to, but I'm sure some
kind soul will.

As for video4linux, if you have problems (or question) you may want to join
the video4linux mailing list, if you haven't already done so.

1. char-major* errors

Hello,
My red hat 7.1 system runs smoothly, but I do get a couple errors at boot-up
and in /var/log/messages which annoy me. I could use some advice.

At boot, I get a modprobe error telling me the system "can't find
char-major-10-135." I know this has to do with the fact that I do not have
RTC (Real Time clock) support enabled in my kernel. Do I need to go back and
recompile, or can I simply delete /dev/rtc (one faq I saw suggested this
deletion, but I want more info before I do that).

In /var/log/messages, I get 2 modprobe errors saying: "can't find
char-major-97" and "can't find char-major-35." From what I can tell,
char-major-97 has to do with CD writing, but my cdwriter works fine. Since
my system runs well, and has for quite awhile, I am tempted to 'alias off'
these char-major messages in /etc/modules.conf...is this OK? I just don't
want to cause bigger problems.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Chris

2. 'Removable Device type 7' and MO drives.

3. Char minor, Char major rule?

4. KDE Desktop Icons?

5. char-major* errors

6. uclinux

7. What is char-major module?

8. Login message lost...

9. Scanners and char-major errors in /var/log/messages

10. zip misses block-major...

11. MAJOR MAJOR PROBLEMS

12. NEED MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST!

13. Need MAJOR HELP MAJOR FAST