HELP: Redhat setup on ISA SMC EtherEZ

Post by Michael W. Godfr » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an old 486 I a trying to re-intall Linux on (bought a new HD and
gave away the old one with a 0.99pl15 kernel...)

I have Redhat 5.1 and an SMC EtherEZ card (serial 8416-T-A-4696).
I already have Win98 installed and networked properly (someone else did
it; yes, I want to keep Win98 thanks).  Win98 says that the network card is
installed to use IRQ 11 and has an IO range of 0240 to 025F.

During the Redhat installation, I tried to use the default Redhat "detect
this card" setting, but had no success letting it autoprobe.  Can I maybe
get it to go somehow by using one of the named SMC cards and providing
appropriate options settings?  Any other ideas?

Based on a cursory reading of FAQs and HOWTOs, I tried setting the options
to "irq=11 io=0x240" but that didn't work.  Then I managed to hang the
install (and all of the HD setup was lost...).  Should I just install w/o
networking enabled and tweak it later?  If so, how?  (or, where should I
look)?

Thanks for any help.

-- Mike G.

HELP: Redhat setup on ISA SMC EtherEZ

Post by Sean Bower » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

It's been awhile since I did the install on the machine with the EtherEZ card
in it but here goes.  I can't remember how you send the options to the install
program (try "ether=0x240,11", "io=0x240 irq=10").  Assuming that you are not
trying to install over the network, you could go ahead an install what you need
and postpone the network config.  When you log in for the first time as root,
check out your /etc/conf.modules file.  In it put two lines:
        alias eth0 smc-ultra
        options smc-ultra io=0x240 irq=11

Then from at your shell prompt "insmod smc-ultra"  This should install the
module.  Reboot and see if it holds.  Did it?  Good!  Now if you are feeling
frisky you could go ahead and recompile your kernel to deflate the excess
baggage it's carrying around!

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Sean

> Hi,

> I have an old 486 I a trying to re-intall Linux on (bought a new HD and
> gave away the old one with a 0.99pl15 kernel...)

> I have Redhat 5.1 and an SMC EtherEZ card (serial 8416-T-A-4696).
> I already have Win98 installed and networked properly (someone else did
> it; yes, I want to keep Win98 thanks).  Win98 says that the network card is
> installed to use IRQ 11 and has an IO range of 0240 to 025F.

> During the Redhat installation, I tried to use the default Redhat "detect
> this card" setting, but had no success letting it autoprobe.  Can I maybe
> get it to go somehow by using one of the named SMC cards and providing
> appropriate options settings?  Any other ideas?

> Based on a cursory reading of FAQs and HOWTOs, I tried setting the options
> to "irq=11 io=0x240" but that didn't work.  Then I managed to hang the
> install (and all of the HD setup was lost...).  Should I just install w/o
> networking enabled and tweak it later?  If so, how?  (or, where should I
> look)?

> Thanks for any help.

> -- Mike G.

HELP: Redhat setup on ISA SMC EtherEZ

Post by Michael W. Godfr » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks ... but now I' stuck again.

I installed from a CD ignoring networking support and then made the
suggested changes to /etc/conf.modules
    insmod smc-ultra
resulted in
    /lib/modules/preferred/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol ei_open
    /lib/modules/preferred/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol ethdev_init
    /lib/modules/preferred/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol ei_debug
    /lib/modules/preferred/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol ei_interrupt
    /lib/modules/preferred/net/smc-ultra.o: unresolved symbol NS8390_init

Any ideas?

>It's been awhile since I did the install on the machine with the EtherEZ card
>in it but here goes.  I can't remember how you send the options to the install
>program (try "ether=0x240,11", "io=0x240 irq=10").  Assuming that you are not
>trying to install over the network, you could go ahead an install what you need
>and postpone the network config.  When you log in for the first time as root,
>check out your /etc/conf.modules file.  In it put two lines:
>        alias eth0 smc-ultra
>        options smc-ultra io=0x240 irq=11

>Then from at your shell prompt "insmod smc-ultra"  This should install the
>module.  Reboot and see if it holds.  Did it?  Good!  Now if you are feeling
>frisky you could go ahead and recompile your kernel to deflate the excess
>baggage it's carrying around!

>Hope this helps a bit.

>Cheers,
>Sean

>> Hi,

>> I have an old 486 I a trying to re-intall Linux on (bought a new HD and
>> gave away the old one with a 0.99pl15 kernel...)

>> I have Redhat 5.1 and an SMC EtherEZ card (serial 8416-T-A-4696).
>> I already have Win98 installed and networked properly (someone else did
>> it; yes, I want to keep Win98 thanks).  Win98 says that the network card is
>> installed to use IRQ 11 and has an IO range of 0240 to 025F.

>> During the Redhat installation, I tried to use the default Redhat "detect
>> this card" setting, but had no success letting it autoprobe.  Can I maybe
>> get it to go somehow by using one of the named SMC cards and providing
>> appropriate options settings?  Any other ideas?

>> Based on a cursory reading of FAQs and HOWTOs, I tried setting the options
>> to "irq=11 io=0x240" but that didn't work.  Then I managed to hang the
>> install (and all of the HD setup was lost...).  Should I just install w/o
>> networking enabled and tweak it later?  If so, how?  (or, where should I
>> look)?

>> Thanks for any help.

>> -- Mike G.

HELP: Redhat setup on ISA SMC EtherEZ

Post by b.. » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Try to go to SMC's web site and download the DOS driver
disk for this card.  I believe that if the  card is not
too old it will have a DOS utility to allow for probing
the card to find the IRQ and IO address settings (the
same toool will also allow you to set them).

-bik

--
Bik Dhaliwal

work number: 416-351-3294x31