=== HELP: Low-cost internal modems compat. w/ Linux ??? ===

=== HELP: Low-cost internal modems compat. w/ Linux ??? ===

Post by C » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I'm interested in finding out which internal 56k modems
people can recommend to me which are:

1. fully compatible with Linux on a PC (Red Hat, etc)

2. offer good/excellent performance

3. reliable

4. controller-based ISA modems

5. are low-cost (for example, < $40)

I've already looked at the excellent table at

    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000122a.html

from:

    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

which shows compatible modems (but not which ones
are lowest-cost, etc.)

Also, does anyone have experience with the $30 Newcom:

  http://www.mightymaxcorp.com/cgi-bin/M&M/display_spec.pl/NE7874:US

?  This seems to be what I'm looking for, assuming
this modem is reliable, good performance, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations on which
modems match my requirements above.

Post by Rob Cla » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>I'm interested in finding out which internal 56k modems
>people can recommend to me which are:

[..]
Try this page:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

Quote:>Also, does anyone have experience with the $30 Newcom:

>  http://www.mightymaxcorp.com/cgi-bin/M&M/display_spec.pl/NE7874:US

>?  This seems to be what I'm looking for, assuming
>this modem is reliable, good performance, etc.

IIRC, I think I've got the 33.6K version of this modem somewhere.  It is
well-constructed although the jumpers are not well-labeled.  Just looking
at the photo, the large speaker and red MOV are evident, so it looks good.

The downside is that Newcom is out of business, and this modem may have
only the x2 code without an upgrade to v.90.

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

=== HELP: Low-cost internal modems compat. w/ Linux ??? ===

Post by Kevin Crox » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've used the el-cheapo Newcom modem with Linux, and found it
satisfactory, except for the fact that despite having been
"flashed" to V.90 it still refused to do better than 33.6 on
a V.90 modem pool.

The other el-cheapo that I continue to use on Linux is a
MaxTech PnP. (~$40) The connection is reliable and I can get
consistent speeds above 48K. The one peculiarity the
modem has is that after a few dozen reboots of the Linux
machine, the modem becomes "tired" of whatever port it's
on, and jumps to a new port and IRQ. But this is just
a matter of finding the modem again, issuing the
appropriate setserial command (if it's using an odd
irq), and rerunning gpm if the modem has displaced the
mouse from its port. Rassin' frassin' PnP... <grumble>

A little bit more ($50-60) gets you a completely
jumperable Zoom modem. I've had good luck with them.
Others haven't.

--Kevin

>I'm interested in finding out which internal 56k modems
>people can recommend to me which are:

>1. fully compatible with Linux on a PC (Red Hat, etc)

>2. offer good/excellent performance

>3. reliable

>4. controller-based ISA modems

>5. are low-cost (for example, < $40)

>I've already looked at the excellent table at

>    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/20000122a.html

>from:

>    http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

>which shows compatible modems (but not which ones
>are lowest-cost, etc.)

>Also, does anyone have experience with the $30 Newcom:

>  http://www.mightymaxcorp.com/cgi-bin/M&M/display_spec.pl/NE7874:US

>?  This seems to be what I'm looking for, assuming
>this modem is reliable, good performance, etc.

>Thanks in advance for any recommendations on which
>modems match my requirements above.

=== HELP: Low-cost internal modems compat. w/ Linux ??? ===

Post by Tom Marini » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Just read this now...

I am currently using an internal modem from
AOpen, called the FM56-ITU/2.

it's 56k, ISA, and best of all, and com irq settings
are performed done with jumpers.

Their Web site is http://www.AOpenUSA.com/index5.htm

around $45 dollars CDN

---TM---