suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

Post by Matthias Schweinoc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now it
really pisses me off. there's no way to choose the packages you want
installed, theres no way to select the partitioning of your drive, and the
best of all is the fact that the "normal" package selection for installation
doesn't include stuff like the kernel source, or other "needed" software.

so much for my being pissed off at the suse company right now. does any1
here happen to know if i can force suse 6.3 to do a yast 1 installation? i
want to choose each and every packet myself, and i want to setup the
partitioning of the drive.. it's easier to fix my own mistakes later on,
since i know where i made them.. unlike "searching" and fighting the
mistakes of suse..

sucks..

matthias

suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

Post by Bay » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I agree, SuSE 6.3 was not as good as 6.2, but there is hope.  You can boot off
of the second CDROM and go through the old installation.  I believe the boot
disks also default to the old way, but I have never used them.

Have fun...
Bay

> first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now it
> really pisses me off. there's no way to choose the packages you want
> installed, theres no way to select the partitioning of your drive, and the
> best of all is the fact that the "normal" package selection for installation
> doesn't include stuff like the kernel source, or other "needed" software.

> so much for my being pissed off at the suse company right now. does any1
> here happen to know if i can force suse 6.3 to do a yast 1 installation? i
> want to choose each and every packet myself, and i want to setup the
> partitioning of the drive.. it's easier to fix my own mistakes later on,
> since i know where i made them.. unlike "searching" and fighting the
> mistakes of suse..

> sucks..

> matthias

suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

Post by Paul L » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

For YAST 1 install, boot with the floppy; then when you get the main menu,
select "change/create configuration" packages...

Or you can bootup with the 2nd CDrom but then you would have to swap the
CD1 back in to install.

My "problem" is when I save the configuration, it gets "saved" but doesn't
showup anywhere; at least the install log shows all the packages.

>first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now it
>really pisses me off. there's no way to choose the packages you want
>installed, theres no way to select the partitioning of your drive, and the
>best of all is the fact that the "normal" package selection for installation
>doesn't include stuff like the kernel source, or other "needed" software.

>so much for my being pissed off at the suse company right now. does any1
>here happen to know if i can force suse 6.3 to do a yast 1 installation? i
>want to choose each and every packet myself, and i want to setup the
>partitioning of the drive.. it's easier to fix my own mistakes later on,
>since i know where i made them.. unlike "searching" and fighting the
>mistakes of suse..

>sucks..

>matthias

suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

Post by fich » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Use CD ROM # 2...  It uses yast vs yast2 which was the original SuSE
installation program.

Quote:> first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now

Post by Alex La » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now it
> really pisses me off. there's no way to choose the packages you want
> installed, theres no way to select the partitioning of your drive, and the
> best of all is the fact that the "normal" package selection for installation
> doesn't include stuff like the kernel source, or other "needed" software.

> so much for my being pissed off at the suse company right now. does any1
> here happen to know if i can force suse 6.3 to do a yast 1 installation? i
> want to choose each and every packet myself, and i want to setup the
> partitioning of the drive.. it's easier to fix my own mistakes later on,
> since i know where i made them.. unlike "searching" and fighting the
> mistakes of suse..

> sucks..

> matthias

SuSE has put  out an announcement that they have
a  bug with Yast2 in 6.3 release, and tell people
to use Yast1 from the 2nd CD instead.

And there's a note inside the box concerning that
if you have purchased the official CD set.

Alex Lam.

--

- "Think for yourself, question authority." - T.
Leary.

suse 6.3, yast 2 installtion, any way to do yast 1?

Post by Kevin Crox » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If using one of the single-CD evaluation versions (Cheapbytes vel simm.)
you need to invoke YAST manually. This may be done by using a boot
floppy and then mounting the CD, or if doing a CD-only install, by
booting the CD from a recent earlier version, then when older-YAST has
loaded in the boot process, swapping CDs to the current 6.3 and
proceed with choosing/upgrading packages. The second method
is certainly not very elegant, but did allow me to do a
diskless upgrade from 6.2 using the single-CD Cheapbytes
version, and without YAST2 destroying anything.

Good luck,

--Kevin

>> first i really liked that graphical installation of the suse 6.3, but now it
>> really pisses me off. there's no way to choose the packages you want
>> installed, theres no way to select the partitioning of your drive, and the
>> best of all is the fact that the "normal" package selection for installation
>> doesn't include stuff like the kernel source, or other "needed" software.

>> so much for my being pissed off at the suse company right now. does any1
>> here happen to know if i can force suse 6.3 to do a yast 1 installation? i
>> want to choose each and every packet myself, and i want to setup the
>> partitioning of the drive.. it's easier to fix my own mistakes later on,
>> since i know where i made them.. unlike "searching" and fighting the
>> mistakes of suse..

>> sucks..

>> matthias

>SuSE has put  out an announcement that they have
>a  bug with Yast2 in 6.3 release, and tell people
>to use Yast1 from the 2nd CD instead.

>And there's a note inside the box concerning that
>if you have purchased the official CD set.

>Alex Lam.

>--

>- "Think for yourself, question authority." - T.
>Leary.
>- Q: "How did WINDOWS 98(tm) gets its name?"
>- A: "Because it'll crash 9 times in 8 hours...
>then, you get  so
>      pissed you throw the thing out the window!"
>(FreeBSD style
>      copyrights 1998, 1999, 2000 by Alex Lam. :))

1. first nic install (suse 6.3 yast)

'just getting started w/ suse's linux 6.3 and having a really hard time
bridging the first stepps... doc.s tell me it will automaticaly pick up the
new nic card -no such luck and when i try to fire yast, it tells me it can't
find it?!? it's on the winx system but always asks for some password (i must
be botching) the quits. is there a default password??? i'm totaly lost.

2. Sendmail

3. SuSE 6.3 - YaST

4. Booting Problem With Red Hat 7.1

5. YAST-Backup without YAST-Menue HOW???

6. Which 10/100Mbit-NIC with Wake-On-LAN for Linux ???

7. iconv_open on Solaris

8. SuSE - YaST - GnoRPM

9. SuSE 6.1 Kernel Problem (YaST)

10. Update Suse 5.3 with yast