RedHat 4.0 failed to activate modem at boot time

1. 4.1 SCSI boot fails, 4.0->4.1 upgrade boot OK

Hi:

I installed 4.1 from scratch on a Digital Celebris P133 box [Phoenix 4.14
BIOS] with an Adaptec AIC 7850 SCSI controller and a 2GB Seagate Barracuda
SCSI disk. The install goes fine [I have to boot from floppy as this system
doesn't support bootable CDROM].

After install, I cannot boot from the disk [which shows up as C: i.e.
disk1].

If I install 4.0 from scratch and then *upgrade* to 4.1 it boots OK. I have
duplicated this on a 2nd machine [same kind of box, but 3 SCSI disks].

I understand that the 4.1 i386 bootstrap code is 2x bigger. Is there some
magic that needs to happen for an older BIOS to work with the new boot
system? I tried 'boot0cfg -o packet' but got no improvement. The system
fails to boot whether I use the boot manager or the basic FreeBSD-only
loader.

Thanks - Jeff Stelzner

2. script to find out winsock.dll version ?

3. Redhat 7.0 - failed to activate interface

4. DOS dying

5. pppoe if fails on boot but not when manually activated

6. cdr usage on Solairs

7. Swap partition not activated at boot-time

8. Big Trouble!! No solution??? :<

9. How do I activate at boot time?

10. activate tcpip at boot time

11. Activating user daemon at boot time

12. Activating FireWire HD at boot time

13. RH7.1 upgrade fails - 7.0 rollback problem -> Activating Swap Partitions: Failed