Mandrake 8.0

Post by Brenda Bel » Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:45:03

I've been running Mandrake 7.0 (with patches) for a while and want to
upgrade to 8.0.  Before I go out and buy it, my question is this:  can I
upgrade or is it a complete reinstall.

I want to use my existing partitions and simply update the kernel and
software.

Mandrake 8.0

Post by Bit Twist » Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:06:48

I always do a clean install. Less chance of old libraries mucking up
the os.
Another example: I believe inetd was replaced by xinetd after 7.1

About partitions, What would you do if you lost the disk?

I made seperate partitions for site specific code and /home and do not
format them during install. That way makes for a clean install easy.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

1. Default sound system in KDE2.2 with Mandrake 8.0

Hi!

I use KDE2.2 with Mandrake 8.0.
I use Netscape 6.1 with messenger.

I checked the option in Netscape to have a sound played when I've got a new
e-mail. Unfortunately it's not possible to choose what sound to be played
and the one played is the default sound system.

I tried to change the default sound system using KControl but I didn't find
any default sound system in notification.

Does anyone know how to change that?

Gry

2. /etc/issue not displaying on NIS+ Systems?

3. Mandrake 8.0 installation freeze

4. startx works, but xdm blinks

5. Mandrake 8.0 and IBM thinkpad A21e

6. crashing in module unload

7. Multimonitor under Mandrake 8.0

8. Help with Setup Info (Take 2)

9. Flash Plugin & Netscape 6.1 on Mandrake 8.0 Problems

10. Setting up Mandrake 8.0 as a Cable Modem Gateway.

11. Mandrake 8.0 config

12. tcsh path in Mandrake 8.0

13. HELP! Mandrake 8.0 kernel panic.