End of Linux Install (LILO Install)

Post by Matt Chesle » Tue, 24 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I installed Redhat 5.0, and made it almost all the way through the
installation.  At the end, the part where it installs LILO, I keep
getting an error regarding the boot installation.  I've tried every
combination possible b/t MBR and linux partition.  I'm running a GW2K
P2-266, 64MB RAM, 6.4GB UDMA (Master), 8.4GB UDMA (Slave), Ultra33 PCI
UDMA interface.  I found a workaround to allow Linux install to access
the Ultra33, and the install seems to work fine up until that point.
The partitions are as follows:

hda - ZIP Drive
hdb - CD-ROM Drive
hde1 - MBR/ 1st partition on 6.4GB
hde3 - 2nd partition on 6.4GB
hde4 - 3rd partition on 6.4GB
hdf1 - 1st partition on 8.4GB
hdf3 - Linux Native partition on 8.4GB
hdf4 - Linux Swapfile partition on 8.4GB
hdf5 - FAT32 partition on 8.4GB

Please Help

End of Linux Install (LILO Install)

Post by Ian MacArth » Wed, 25 Feb 1998 04:00:00

This isn't going to help much, but I have the same problem on my second
(my mainly W95) box.

Promise Ultra33, 4.3G UDMA, 3.2G UDMA...

Lilo can't write boot .... although the Promise ide workaround seems fine
and the partition/format/install all seems to proceed OK.

I *suspect* that linux is not getting the correct geometry back from the
disk - some large disks report their geometry strangely, I believe - and
this is messing things up.

I'm going to try fiddliing abput with linear mode or forcing C/H/S values
but I dont hold out much hope...

What C/H/S does your disk show ? Mine appears to show 524/255/63 FWIW.

In his posting, Matt Chesler said...

Quote:

--
                         Ian MacArthur

Opinions expressed here are (probably) my own.
They were when I typed them.
They are not necessarily the company or anyone else's.

1. RH 5.0: LILO won't install at end of installation . . .

What would explain the refusal of the installation utility to write
LILO? The entire setup on a 1.6 Gb IDE drive, with W95 on the first
partition, seems to roll along fine, but LILO won't go onto the disk,
neither in the MBR nor on the root superblock. A regular 16-bit FAT is
used for the DOS partition. W95 boots fine, and, in fact, it looks as if
everything installed for RedHat. But, with no LILO . . . well, you see
the problem.

TIA,
TL

2. Sound on HP VL8i

3. LILO fails at end of 4.2 install!

4. VNC & X

5. Linux LILO Problems and How to install NT after installing 95 and SUSE

6. Will host open source sites free!

7. Can I install LILO AFTER installing Linux?

8. after 231 days uptime, what happens?

9. How to put RH6.2 on end of 27gb HD, install new lilo?

10. Cannot get LILO to Install on standard install = HELP !!!!!

11. LILO - booting 2x Win98 installs and a Slackware install

12. Installed Lilo to Master Boot Record, now can't install WinNT

13. How to install LILO from install disk?