Problem on installing Slackware 3.4 to Zeos Pantera 90

Problem on installing Slackware 3.4 to Zeos Pantera 90

Post by Keng-yu Chua » Sun, 23 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I've been trying to install Slackware 3.4 on my Zeos P-90 (Cobra motherboard) for around 100 times with no single success.  The system always crashed at the step right after I chose not to remap the keyboard in the text mode of setup) with messages like:

general protection 000
hdc media changed (hdc is the a Hitachi ATAPI CD-ROM which is recognized by the rootdisk)
.
.(there is whole bunch of memory addresses)
.
idle task may not sleep
idle task may not sleep
ATAPI reset complete
and so forth and so on......

I first experimented to run the setup without the CD-ROM connected and the system managed to not cash until somewhere in the middle of file copying. for this kind of crash, I got similiar error messages except the word ATAPI was replaced by IDE.

I tried to search any posts on the internet and I found a pre-compiled kernel written for the Zeos P-90, however, it is only for kernel 1.2.0.  Is it compatible with the rootdisk or the CD-ROMs?  If not, what should I do?

I also read that my onboard IDE controller, RZ1000 on this motherboard is very buggy ( I saw the line "Buggy RZ1000, disabled" when booting up with bootdisk).  Based on that, I disabled the controller from BIOS and used a normal EIDE ISA controller.  Does any of the boot images on the slackware 3.4 CD-ROM take care of the problem?

I am really sorry for the long message because I am very frustrated by the problem, hope you can give me some help.  thanks in advance.

Keng-yu Chuang

My system configuration:
Zeos Pentera P-90 (Cobra motherboard, Mercury PCI chipset, RZ1000 onboard IDE controller(disabled from BIOS))
16 meg RAM
Diamond Stealth 64 PCI DRAM
SIIG EIDE ISA controller (will change to Promise Ultra33 PCI controller soon)
Fujitsu 3.5GB UltraDMA HD (bootdrive)
Western Digital 1.2 GB HD
Hitachi ATAPI 4x CD-ROM
Roland SCC-1
Media Vision Pro Audio Studio

Problem on installing Slackware 3.4 to Zeos Pantera 90

Post by Albert Janss » Mon, 24 Nov 1997 04:00:00

'lo

(could you do some wordwrapping in the near future, please ?)

Quote:>I tried to search any posts on the internet and I found a pre-compiled kernel
>written for the Zeos P-90, however, it is only for kernel 1.2.0.
>Is it compatible with the rootdisk or the CD-ROMs?

Just try it.
Have a FAT-partition ?
Get the kernel and use Loadlin :
c:\loadlin vmlinuz initrd=root.gz root=/dev/ram rw
(IIRC)

bye,

1. problem on installation of Slackware 3.4 on Zeos Pantera 90

[...]

2. KDE and PATH variable ?

3. Zeos Pantera 90 and AMD SCSI

4. Help FIDOstuff

5. Zeos Pantera 90 + Linux = success

6. Solaris going open-source

7. Slackware 3.4 -> IBM PS/2 90

8. [Q} "ps -aux" gives floating point exception??!?!?

9. Anyone installed Solaris on a Zeos Pantera before?

10. ZEOS Pantera SCSI problems

11. Slackware 3.4 MAJOR install problems. Please Help!

12. Help with install problem on Slackware 3.4