Recompiling the linux kernel need urgent help!!!!

Recompiling the linux kernel need urgent help!!!!

Post by fail00 » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
I just recompiled my redhat 6.1 linux kernel so that i can burn cdroms using
linux.
Everything went o.k.
Once i finished recompiling the kernel i typed in the following command to
replace my new kernel with the old one. Here is the cammand:
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage   /boot/vmlinuz
After typing the following line i get an error message saying that there no
such
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage

Now i have read this from a book that is called Mastering Redhat 6.0 and not
6.1, which is what i am using.
I am using kernel 2.2.12-20.

Can anyone please help me with this.

Thanks allot

Post by Sean Clark » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,
> I just recompiled my redhat 6.1 linux kernel so that i can burn cdroms using
> linux.
> Everything went o.k.
> Once i finished recompiling the kernel i typed in the following command to
> replace my new kernel with the old one. Here is the cammand:
> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage   /boot/vmlinuz
> After typing the following line i get an error message saying that there no
> such
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage

> Now i have read this from a book that is called Mastering Redhat 6.0 and not
> 6.1, which is what i am using.
> I am using kernel 2.2.12-20.

> Can anyone please help me with this.

> Thanks allot

Silly question, but just thought I'd check....

you say you made the kernel, did you make bzImage afterwards ? if not try that,
then use

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage   /boot/vmlinuz

although, if you are overwriting your old image, I wouldn't advise it (in case
there is a problem). I would :

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage   /boot/cd_burner

then use something like linuxconf (unless you know the command line stuff for
lilo) to configure lilo and enable me to boot to cd_burner kernel, then if you
have a problem you can boot to the old image.

--

regards

Sean Clarke
www.linux-software.clara.co.uk

Linux... for those whose IQ is greater than 98 !!!

Post by Koen Verbek » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi,
> I just recompiled my redhat 6.1 linux kernel so that i can burn cdroms using
> linux.
> Everything went o.k.
> Once i finished recompiling the kernel i typed in the following command to
> replace my new kernel with the old one. Here is the cammand:
> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage   /boot/vmlinuz
> After typing the following line i get an error message saying that there no
> such
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage

You have to edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add your new kernel to the list.
After that, run 'lilo' at the prompt and reboot.

You should do this as root.

Greets,
        - Koen

,---------------------------------------------,

|      http://home.freegates.be/koen-yalp     |
`---------------------------------------------'

Recompiling the linux kernel need urgent help!!!!

Post by nabb.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>> Hi,
>> I just recompiled my redhat 6.1 linux kernel so that i can burn cdroms using
>> linux.
>> Everything went o.k.
>> Once i finished recompiling the kernel i typed in the following command to
>> replace my new kernel with the old one. Here is the cammand:
>> cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage   /boot/vmlinuz
>> After typing the following line i get an error message saying that there no
>> such
>> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage

It is called 'bzImage' not 'zImage'.

just run lilo after the copy. no need to edit any lilo.conf file.
keep a copy of the old vmlinuz in case new kernel do not boot.

Nasser

1. Linux newbie lost mouse in Xfree86 after recompiling kernel, need help to help himOne

Hi!

One of my colleagues has a problem. He recompiled the kernel of his
RedHat 5.0 Linux. The new kernel works fine, but X cannot find the
mouse. GPM works, and he used

/usr/sbin/mouseconfig

to detect the type of mouse. After that he verified that the settings in
/etc/X11/XF86config were OK. If he boots the old kernel it still works.

I have no idea about this! If gpm works, and /usr/sbin/mouseconfig is
OK, then I presume that the kernel is handling the mouse properly.

Someone having any suggestions? My friend realizes that he could just
reinstall the system to get the kernel options he needs. But I don't
want to make him feel 'burned 'on a kernel  recompile.

Erik Kaffehr

2. error related with ONC RPC rpcgen

3. Need help on chosing kernel memory option, when recompile a new kernel

4. V240 v 280R for software builds

5. Oh no! I deleted /etc/alternatives/ . . .

6. buring redhat 4.0 under DOS

7. need to recompile ftape: recompile kernel too?

8. Urgent: need help on LINUX kernel threading

9. Need help recompiling kernel...

10. need help- cannot recompile kernel!

11. Need help with recompiling kernel