Unwanted Kernal

Post by Ronney Blac » Sun, 26 Jan 1997 04:00:00

How can I fix this.

I have a walnut creek 2 disk cd-rom set with slackware version 3.0. I
was able to install it with no trouble. Then I installed a beta copy of
the Pick D3 database. The pick product requires slackware 1.2.13.  The
pick install went smoothly until I relinked the kernal. After the relink
the kernal had been changed to a version higher than 1.2.13 and pick
wouldn't run.

What can I do to ensure that the newly compiled kernal remains at level
1.2.13 ?

Thanks in advance.

Unwanted Kernal

Post by Jurgen Exne » Mon, 27 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> How can I fix this.

> I have a walnut creek 2 disk cd-rom set with slackware version 3.0. I
> was able to install it with no trouble. Then I installed a beta copy of
> the Pick D3 database. The pick product requires slackware 1.2.13.  The
> pick install went smoothly until I relinked the kernal. After the relink
> the kernal had been changed to a version higher than 1.2.13 and pick
> wouldn't run.

> What can I do to ensure that the newly compiled kernal remains at level
> 1.2.13 ?

Never heard of a product, that requires an obsolete kernel.
Best would be to get a more friendly copy of Pick.

Otherwise your only chance is to stay with 1.2.13, i.e. get a copy of these
ancient kernel sources (they should be available still at your favourite
sunsite mirror) and compile that kernel again.
Of course you have no chance to use any of the new hardware driver or new
features.

jue
--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation

Unwanted Kernal

Post by Dragon Slay » Tue, 28 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I fix this.

>I have a walnut creek 2 disk cd-rom set with slackware version 3.0. I
>was able to install it with no trouble. Then I installed a beta copy of
>the Pick D3 database. The pick product requires slackware 1.2.13.  The
>pick install went smoothly until I relinked the kernal. After the relink
>the kernal had been changed to a version higher than 1.2.13 and pick
>wouldn't run.

>What can I do to ensure that the newly compiled kernal remains at level
>1.2.13 ?

FYI:
The AP/Linux beta requires things to be in the a.out format. Slackware
3.0 is ELF based. You need an older version of Slackware (2.4) or contact
PICK Systems about the current D3 product (D3/ProPlus). D3 ProPlus should
install on the latest Slackware running a 2.0.x kernel. (FYI,
D3/ProPlus is compose of 2 components, a minilinux and ``D3/Linux'').
D3/ProPlus is a production product (vs a beta) and includes many bug
fixes and enhancements.

As for your question, you need to download the 1.2.13 kernel sources.
(sunsite.unc.edu, tsx-11.mit.edu or other mirrors).

-- Hunyue Yau
--
Dragon's Lair, USA -- Dragon Slayer -- +1.818.395.1012

1. Newest kernal ? latest kernal for redhat install

I recently bought the O'Reilly CDROM set for Red Hat.
(The Running Linux Companion CDROM, Release 2.1)

Before I install, I'd like to know what the latest stable kernal is
and any instructions on how to install linux from the cdrom using an
updated kernal.  The version on the cd is 1312 probably 1.3.12.

What is rembrant ?  Is this the newest kernal?
I'd like to find something recent b/c my hardware is pretty new.
I have a P-166 with stealth 3D video card and a SB AWE 32 sound card.
My cdrom is the sony cdu31a, which gives some people a hard time
configuring. I also have a zip drive that I would like to get working
on linux.

Please email me with any suggestion or sources of info.
thanks,
Ken

2. PCMCIA support on Solaris x86

3. ...FreeBSD kernal vs Linux ( say slackware... ) kernal.

4. 2.1.36 Login Problem

5. BOOT KERNAL WORKS, INSTALLED KERNAL FAILS :(

6. Using RAID on rootdisk

7. Network dies under Kernal 2.2.5-15 & 22 -- Kernal BUG??

8. Mylex DAC960 scsi drivers anytime ?

9. HELP : Kernal Panic when rebooting with new Kernal

10. HELP NEEDED to upgrade from kernal 1.2.1 to kernal 2.0.0

11. Disabling unwanted services/question

12. Eliminating unwanted coredumps

13. Unwanted Swapping in 2.4.14-pre8, no swapping in 2.4.14-pre6aa1