Linux-FT rev1.1 and Goldstar 540 ide install

Linux-FT rev1.1 and Goldstar 540 ide install

Post by BARDOU Jean-Fran?o » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

/title News: comp.os.linux.setup

I can't  install Linux-FT rev1.1 (kernel 1.2.13) from my CD-Rom drive
installed  as slave on 1st IDE.

What I did :

1- boot from boot floppy
( I try this floppy on a PC with sbpcd CDrom and it 's OK,
 at least until the install menu)

2- the drive is recognized by the boot process ; a specific displayed line
 shows :

hdb GCD-R540, ATAPI, CDRom drive

3- continuing by

CRAMDISK: decompressing image

 and finally,

Where is the ft runtime CDROM : (list...) ?

4- I choose : 9 (= hdb)

5- the process tries to reach the CDROM (light on/off )
and sends various messages :
hdb : status error status=0x59
....                 error=0x60
reset
VFS diskchange detected on dev3/64 (I didn't change anything)
First datazone 18 Root inode number 36864
ISO9660 extension RRip....

hdb: cdrom_read_from_buffer:buffer botch(75)
end_requests: I/O error, dev0340,sector 75

/dev/hdb : no ft CDROM

6- the init process stopped there

Please, has somebody any idea ?

(I read the hardware-Howto and I can't stated if is supported this
CDRom : GOLDSTAR, GCD-R540 used as slave on first IDE or not ? )

Many thanks

Post by Mark Fazakerle » Sat, 25 May 1996 04:00:00

  > I can't  install Linux-FT rev1.1 (kernel 1.2.13) from my CD-Rom drive
  > installed  as slave on 1st IDE.

Yes, looks pretty much like you have the same problems I had with FT. The only workaround I have
so far is to use the slackware installation on the 'archive 3' disk that comes with FT.

There seem to be a lot of people out there with Goldstar 540 's - most seem to be working fine with
slackware.

Mark Fazakerley, Technical Manager, Mike Fraser Ltd

1. Linux FT & Goldstar 540 CDROM

I am currently trying to install Linux FT from a goldstar 540B CDROM
and  am running out of wall space to bang my head against. Tried it as
a ATAPI , and several other drivers. Anyone out there own a
goldstar CDROM ? or a large axe ?

Any suggestions ?

Mark Fazakerley, Technical Manager - Mike Fraser Ltd

2. Logitec Middle Button

3. PnP Linux Yggdrasil & Goldstar 540 CD?

4. sharing cable modem

5. How connect my PC 386 with my Linux box ??

6. Linux-Ft rev1.1 : boot floppy needed

7. Test New Reader: Please ignore, thanks :-)

8. Problems with Goldstar 540 CDROM

9. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

10. GoldStar 540 CD-Rom Setup Problems

11. Installation Problems with Slackware 2.2.0 & Goldstar gcd-540 cd-rom

12. Goldstar 540 CD won't work with SlakWare!!!!