No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay

No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay

Post by <shootifitmo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
I am running Red Hat version 6 with Gnome and Enlightenment, and I am
using an ensoniq 1371 chipset soundcard.  With sound enabled in Gnome and
Enlightenment, the sound works fine for the Root user.  However, when
logging in with any user accounts, I get an Esound error message when I
try to enable sounds in Enlightenment.  I figure this is probably a
problem with permissions (that's why I didn't post this in hardware), but
I don't know what to check.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay

Post by Vigi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Look at /dev/audio and /dev/dsp...

Quote:> Hi, I am running Red Hat version 6 with Gnome and Enlightenment, and I am

--

.

Post by Steve Bradle » Mon, 04 Dec 2000 10:46:15

> Look at /dev/audio and /dev/dsp...

> > Hi, I am running Red Hat version 6 with Gnome and Enlightenment, and I
> > am
> > using an ensoniq 1371 chipset soundcard.  With sound enabled in Gnome
> > and
> > Enlightenment, the sound works fine for the Root user.  However, when
> > logging
> > in with any user accounts, I get an Esound error message when I  try to
> > enable
> > sounds in Enlightenment.  I figure this is probably a  problem with
> > permissions
> > (that's why I didn't post this in hardware), but  I don't know what to
> > check. Any help would be appreciated.

To make everything work on my system (RH6.2, heavily upgraded), I had to
hit /dev/mixer* /dev/midi* /dev/dsp* and /dev/audio* - the astericks are
there because there were more than one of each of these (ie, /dev/mixer0,
/dev/mixer1, etc).

I changed my persmissions to 777 on all of those files - although the RIGHT
way (thinking security) to do it is probably to 'chown' the files to a
group (users, maybe) then make sure that all your non-root users have that
group as part of their supplemental groups (use 'usermod' or 'userconf').
On my single user system, I just got lazy  ;-)
--
Steve Bradley

Registered Linux User#187404
(register at www.linuxcounter.org)
ICQ#19864616

No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay

Post by <shootifitmo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks, that fixed it.

James

> To make everything work on my system (RH6.2, heavily upgraded), I had to
> hit /dev/mixer* /dev/midi* /dev/dsp* and /dev/audio* - the astericks are
> there because there were more than one of each of these
(ie, /dev/mixer0,
> /dev/mixer1, etc).

> I changed my persmissions to 777 on all of those files - although the
RIGHT
> way (thinking security) to do it is probably to 'chown' the files to a
> group (users, maybe) then make sure that all your non-root users have
that
> group as part of their supplemental groups (use 'usermod'
or 'userconf').
> On my single user system, I just got lazy  ;-)
> --
> Steve Bradley

> Registered Linux User#187404
> (register at www.linuxcounter.org)
> ICQ#19864616

1. OSS sound driver & Gnome (Java Desktop) = kernel hang, CDE okay

Soundcard:   M-Audio Revolution 7.1
OSS drivers: latest version for AMD64 Solaris
Workstation: Sun W2100z

Subject says it all, CDE runs fine, but Gnome hangs the system with the
OSS driver installed.  The Sun  USB Type 6 keyboard and Crossbow USB
mouse also work momentarily as Gnome is still loading shortly before the
system crashes.

Anyone have any ideas or tips for troubleshooting?  I'm still fairly new
to Solaris and don't have much experience on troubleshooting this type
of thing.

Thanks!

2. How to control multiple server in multiple machines with a queue

3. Okay, Okay, Okay--NT and Linux

4. ksh, return codes, m4, and pipes

5. System sounds work for root, not for user

6. JavaScript engine for UNIX and LINUX

7. Sounds work in root, but not in user

8. Chrsh, and then ? Lost....

9. sound works as root but not normal user

10. Sound works fine but no no sound at login in Gnome

11. System sounds work in root, but not in user

12. System sounds work in root but not user

13. can't play sounds, but Gnome sound effects work!