LSing and More'ing after installation of Caldera 1.3

LSing and More'ing after installation of Caldera 1.3

Post by David R. Lambert » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I just updated my Caldera 1.1 Base to 1.3.  The update failed so I did a
clear installation.  Everything went smooth with no errors noted.
However, I noticed that when I do the something of the following I get
strange results.

If I do an 'ls' or 'ls -l' on a any or all files, I can see them.  If I
do a group search like 'ls ppp*' from the /etc directory I get the
following results:
"chap-secrets, ip-down, ip-up, options, pap-secres"  This is only an
example.  If I try to read this files with 'cat' or 'more' I get a 'No
such file or directory'.  Then again I may be able to read one of these
files.  Trying to 'cd' to one of the groups that are identified as a
directory gets similar results.

Anybody have an idea what is going on and how to correct?  Please don't
get to linux technical on me.  I've only been on linux for about a
years.

Post by ne.. » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I just updated my Caldera 1.1 Base to 1.3.  The update failed so I did a
>clear installation.  Everything went smooth with no errors noted.
>However, I noticed that when I do the something of the following I get
>strange results.

>If I do an 'ls' or 'ls -l' on a any or all files, I can see them.  If I
>do a group search like 'ls ppp*' from the /etc directory I get the
>following results:
>"chap-secrets, ip-down, ip-up, options, pap-secres"  This is only an
>example.  If I try to read this files with 'cat' or 'more' I get a 'No
>such file or directory'.  Then again I may be able to read one of these
>files.  Trying to 'cd' to one of the groups that are identified as a
>directory gets similar results.

As confusing as what you wrote above is, I'll try and
make some sense of it. I assume both cat and more work
as you do not get the 'command not found' error msg.

When you do a 'ls ppp*', it lists all the files in the
current directory starting with 'ppp' as well as _ALL_
the files in any directory starting 'ppp'. What it does
not tell you is the directory these files are in.
Therefore a cat or more on these files will return with
a 'No such file or directory' error. To cerrect this
specify the full path to the file.

Quote:>Anybody have an idea what is going on and how to correct?  Please don't
>get to linux technical on me.  I've only been on linux for about a
>years.

After a using Linux for a year, you are no longer a novice
user. You now qualify as normal user, so it is time we
start getting technical on you ;->

--
ne...
.sig server was neva operational.

1. Caldera 1.3 vs Caldera 2.3

It's a amjor upgrade. The biggest thing is that COL 1.3 is built on the 2.0.35
kernel and COL 2.3 is based on the 2.2.10 kernel. The 2.2.x kernel supports a
wider range of hardware, including PCI sound cards, USB and quite a bit more.
There are a whole lot of other improvements at various levels... too many to
list. COL 2.3 also has a much simpler, graphical installation routine -- a plus
for a first-time installation, and if you buy the commercial package, it comes
with a lot more additional software.

Now, there are people out there who'll use COL 1.3 and just upgrade the kernel,
but you don't want to do this if you have no experience with Linux. Go with COL
2.3. You'll be happier, and you'll be more likely to become a concert from that
other OS.

MF

2. is there a linux kazaa/morpheus client ?

3. Red Hat Linux 5.1 - Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 installation: need assistance (London)

4. Share modem, ISDN and cable modem 12048

5. Caldera 1.3 Installation {Help Please} Partitions

7. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Fips ; installation probs help please ;-)

8. UDP packet frequency problem.

9. Caldera 1.3 Installation {Help Please} Partitioning

10. Help ftp'ing and telnet'ing

11. delay telnet'ing and ftp'ing to System V SVR4

12. Caldera Open Linux 1.3 Install Crash

13. Trouble installing Caldera 1.3 open linux