Need help partitioning for triple boot

Post by Weston Bustra » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm building a brand new Linux box and I need some help in
partitioning the hard drives. I'm fairly confused about all the issues
with 1024cyl, bootable partitions, boot loaders, etc

I have a 9.1 Gb SCSI and a 540 Mb IDE hard drive. I want to be able to
boot Linux primarily, but have a ~1gb Windows NT partition for the
occasional win32 app, and a test partition for testing out and
learning various OS's. (Win98b3 will be first, but I probably will
reformat it and try out other OS's down the road; maybe BeOS, FreeBSD,
OS/2, Rhapsody, etc.)

I need to know how to partition and boot these OS's

The scheme I've come up with so far is:

540mb:
- 100mb FAT marked active for booting and sharing files between NT and
Linux.
- 440mb FAT test partition. Below 1024cyl, so any OS should boot

9.1gb:
- 1gb NTFS partition for NT
- 100mb Linux swap
- the rest Linux Ext2

Questions?
1. Will this work?
2. What do I use to boot? LILO? NT Loader? System Commander? Other?

Need help partitioning for triple boot

Post by Sean » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

Where are you planning to put your / (root) partition?  There are How-Tos in
the Linux Documentation Project that cover using LILO to boot other OSs.  I
suggest you look there for additional guidance if you want to use LILO.  I
have been pretty successfull at setting up multi boot using Sys Cdr.
However, I didn't use there mothodology and I only had one disk.  I setup a
2gb primary fat partition, installed DOS 6.22 and Win95.  Then booted with a
DOS disk and installed NTw4 from CD. I created a 700MB D partiton during the
NT install.  Then I booted with my RedHat Install disk and created three
extended partions; / (root), /home and swap.  I made sure to install LILO
into the root partition NOT the MBR.  Only after this did I install Sys Cdr.
All is running well.

Regards,
Sean