Linux doesn't recognize ALL my RAM

Post by Nei » Sun, 14 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I have 96 megs ram in this machine, but for some reason linux only
recognizes 64 of it. I read somehwere that this is going to happen,
but on bootup you can specify a certain command to make it recognize
it all. I am running red hat 5.0... I am new at this.. so please be
patient :)

thanks in advance
Neil

Post by Roy Stogn » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>I have 96 megs ram in this machine, but for some reason linux only
>recognizes 64 of it. I read somehwere that this is going to happen,
>but on bootup you can specify a certain command to make it recognize
>it all. I am running red hat 5.0... I am new at this.. so please be
>patient :)

Try typing "linux mem=96M" at the LILO prompt - if that works (read:
if I haven't forgotten the correct kernel option), then add the line
append = "mem=96M"
to your /etc/lilo.conf file and run /sbin/lilo again.

However, the fact that you're asking this question may mean you have
not yet found the FAQs and HOWTOs for Linux - check out the /usr/doc
directory on your hard drive, particularly /usr/doc/HOWTO, and take
a look at http://roystgnr.jones.rice.edu/bookmarks.html for my
bookmarks file including the Linux sites you should start with - the
LDP, the Linux Gazette, and such.
---
Roy Stogner