Can't ping modem

Post by Tild » Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:56:58

Hi
I am running Mandrake 9.0 and trying to install alcatel usb adsl-modem.
I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.
Mandrake recognize the modem when it's connected but I can't ping the modem.
What could be wrong?
Please help me.
Best regards
Tilda

Can't ping modem

Post by mjt » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:14:58

> I am running Mandrake 9.0 and trying to install alcatel usb adsl-modem.
> I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.
> Mandrake recognize the modem when it's connected but I can't ping the
> modem. What could be wrong

.... ping the modem ?!?!?! what are you trying to accomplish?

Can't ping modem

Post by Tild » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:46:12

> > I am running Mandrake 9.0 and trying to install alcatel usb adsl-modem.
> > I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.
> > Mandrake recognize the modem when it's connected but I can't ping the
> > modem. What could be wrong

> .... ping the modem ?!?!?! what are you trying to accomplish?

I am trying to see that the modem is configured in a correct way.
Shouldn't I be able to ping the modem?
Quote:

> --
>  Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result
>  skydiver, and author: "Inside Linux",     #   when God divides the
>  "C++ HowTo", "C++ Unleashed"              #     universe by zero

Can't ping modem

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:54:01

>> > I am running Mandrake 9.0 and trying to install alcatel usb adsl-modem.
>> > I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.
>> > Mandrake recognize the modem when it's connected but I can't ping the
>> > modem. What could be wrong

>> .... ping the modem ?!?!?! what are you trying to accomplish?
> I am trying to see that the modem is configured in a correct way.
> Shouldn't I be able to ping the modem?

Modems don't have IP addresses.

Could you be trying to say "ping the machine that the modem is
connected to, across ppp"?

Peter

Can't ping modem

Post by stephan bea » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:19:17

> Could you be trying to say "ping the machine that the modem is
> connected to, across ppp"?

While we're being pedantic, let's take it one step further: "...ping the
logical network interface currently bound to the modem?"

;)

--
----- stephan beal

Can't ping modem

Post by Peter T. Breue » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:57:55

>> Could you be trying to say "ping the machine that the modem is
>> connected to, across ppp"?
> While we're being pedantic, let's take it one step further: "...ping the
> logical network interface currently bound to the modem?"

Nah ... I considered that he might mean that, and discarded the
hypothesis, as the kernel will fake responses for any local interface,
so he couldn't learn anything that way.

Peter

Can't ping modem

Post by Charlie Gibb » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 04:02:36

(stephan beal) writes:

>> Could you be trying to say "ping the machine that the modem is
>> connected to, across ppp"?

>While we're being pedantic, let's take it one step further: "...ping
>the logical network interface currently bound to the modem?"

Or perhaps the original poster is misusing the term "ping" to
mean "send the modem an AT command to see whether it replies "OK".

--

\ /  I'm really at moc.subyks if you read it the right way.
 X   Top-posted messages will probably be ignored.  See RFC1855.

Can't ping modem

Post by mjt » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:58:15

>> > I am running Mandrake 9.0 and trying to install alcatel usb adsl-modem.
>> > I have downloaded and installed the latest driver.
>> > Mandrake recognize the modem when it's connected but I can't ping the
>> > modem. What could be wrong

>> .... ping the modem ?!?!?! what are you trying to accomplish?

> I am trying to see that the modem is configured in a correct way.
> Shouldn't I be able to ping the modem?

... if it's a "serial" modem, you can "communicate" to it using
the "AT" command set. if it's a DSL modem (or cable modem) that
is a different story. if you just want to test whether the (DSL)
modem is working, connect to your provider and ping something
like "www.yahoo.com"

Can't ping modem

Post by Tild » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:17:39

> >> .... ping the modem ?!?!?! what are you trying to accomplish?

> > I am trying to see that the modem is configured in a correct way.
> > Shouldn't I be able to ping the modem?

> Modems don't have IP addresses.

> Could you be trying to say "ping the machine that the modem is
> connected to, across ppp"?

> Peter

Okay, sorry but my knowledge regarding this is not very big.

I was following a description on how to install a adsl connection. It said
that in file /etc/hosts it should be written something like this
"ip.ip.ip.ip alcatel" (Don't remember the ipnr). Then I thought that ipnr
belonged to the modem and I should be able to ping it.
Who owns the ipnr I wrote in /etc/hosts?

Do anyone know a good description on how to install a adsl-connection. I
haven't manage to find any good one. I tried to use the wizard in Mandrake
9, but that didn't work.

1. Canned "ping"

    Within a ksh script, I would like to first determine whether or not
a remote
host is alive before I attempt other network access to it, (file reads
or writes).
The ping command seems to be the logical solution, but if I have to wait
for
the ping command to fail due to network time-out to indicate that the
remote
host is not available I've gained nothing over just letting my other
network
access commands time-out.

    Is there a way to execute ping wrapped in a timer - such as in a
subprocess
that gets killed by it's parent if it doesn't end within a practical
time interval?
It seems to me that that should work, but what I'm really looking for is

someone who would share code that has already been written.

    Much appreciated.

2. Mount Problems

3. D-link DE220 can PING his own IP, but can't PING others'

4. Bash: expand tilde in prompt?

5. NETGEAR FA410 Can PING out can't be PING'd

6. NFS File Sharing ?

7. It's not bad canned meat...

8. Can't Mount Sony CDU33A

9. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!

10. 'ping' sees route but 'telnet' doesn't??

11. PPP modem connection hangs occasionally, can't ping or ftp or anything

12. cable modem can't ping gate way