RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

Post by Adam Conn » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi. I sent the gist of this to RedHat support, but thought I might
post this as a warning.

I tried to install RedHat 4.1 using a GoldStar (Model CRD-8160B)
ATAPI cd-rom (8-16x). It didn't work (RPMs crashed). Symptoms:
Very long estimated install times (2 hours+) for an ~200mb install;
the cd-rom sounded like it was perpetually spinning up and spinning
down, so there may have been some kind of timing problem with the
install. The Goldstar is the Master on the secondary IDE controller
(i.e., it is hdc). The Goldstar works fine under Windows95, of course.

I was fortunate enough to have an old Mitsumi (2x) cd-rom connected to
my system as well, and the installation went smoothly with it. (The
whole installation took ~15 minutes.) I can access the Goldstar via
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2" within Linux just fine.

I have to say that beyond this one glitch, the installation went very
smoothly. Now I just have to figure out how to connect to my SLIP
provider...

Post by Paulo Abre » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Hi. I sent the gist of this to RedHat support, but thought I might
>post this as a warning.

>I tried to install RedHat 4.1 using a GoldStar (Model CRD-8160B)
>ATAPI cd-rom (8-16x). It didn't work (RPMs crashed). Symptoms:
>Very long estimated install times (2 hours+) for an ~200mb install;
>the cd-rom sounded like it was perpetually spinning up and spinning
>down, so there may have been some kind of timing problem with the
>install. The Goldstar is the Master on the secondary IDE controller
>(i.e., it is hdc). The Goldstar works fine under Windows95, of course.

>I was fortunate enough to have an old Mitsumi (2x) cd-rom connected to
>my system as well, and the installation went smoothly with it. (The
>whole installation took ~15 minutes.) I can access the Goldstar via
>"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom2" within Linux just fine.

>I have to say that beyond this one glitch, the installation went very
>smoothly. Now I just have to figure out how to connect to my SLIP
>provider...

I have the same problem with spinning infinitely with my Goldstar, but
I have Slackware 3.0!
The funny thing is that from Windows I also have the same behavior
when I try to read the CD...

Post by Scot » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have the same problem with spinning infinitely with my Goldstar, but
> I have Slackware 3.0!
> The funny thing is that from Windows I also have the same behavior
> when I try to read the CD...

I've had the same problem with my  Matshita CR-562-B 2x. Mine works
in Windows fine. What cds were all of you using to do the install?

Scott

<

RedHat 4.1: problems with GoldStar CD-ROM

Post by Paulo Abre » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>> I have the same problem with spinning infinitely with my Goldstar, but
>> I have Slackware 3.0!
>> The funny thing is that from Windows I also have the same behavior
>> when I try to read the CD...

>I've had the same problem with my  Matshita CR-562-B 2x. Mine works
>in Windows fine. What cds were all of you using to do the install?

>Scott

I am "trying to use" the CD that comes with the book "Special Edition
- Using Linux", 2nd edition, QUE Editors.
This book comes with 2 CDs: Slackware 3.0 and RedHat V? (I didn't
check).
Both CDs have the same bad behavior when read.
I suspected on the quality of the CDs, then I took them to another PC
with a Mitsumi CD reader (4X) and I could read fine from within WFW
3.11.
My CD ROM player is Goldstar model GCD-R580B.
Does anybody ever had problems with this model?

Paulo Abreu

1. Redhat 4.1 install - Sony CDU31A CD-ROM problems - HELP

I am trying to install Redhat 4.1/Intel Linux from CD-ROM.
I am using the Boot floppy that came with the shrink wrap box.
I selected Local CD-ROM and tried the following parameters,
   cdu31a=0x340,0
as mentioned in the users guide. The format is,
   cdu31a=base_addr,[irq-0][,PAS]
The guide says, use zero for IRQ is there is none used (page 155).

The Sony CDU31A CD-ROM is connected to a serial card in the motherboard.
The device manager in Windows 95 shows I/O range 0340-0343.
No IRQ is specified. My computer is a Gateway 2000 486 DX2 66.

It is 2 days since I requested for support from redhat and no replies
yet.

2. Linux box as Proxy Web Server?

3. Win95 + RedHat 4.1 -> Mysterious disappearing CD-ROM: P & P problem?

4. (Q) sendmail vs smail

5. HELP: Problem installing Redhat 4.1 using PCMCIA cd-rom drive

6. Convert wav to realaudio?

7. RedHat 4.1 installation and Creative Labs 2x CD-ROM won't work!!!!

8. Top 10 IP talker

9. HELP:Redhat 4.1 can't find CD-ROM

10. RedHat 4.1 installation using a Sony CDU31A CD-ROM

11. Can't Mount CD-ROM in Redhat 4.1

12. NEWBIE: Problems installing Red Hat 4.1 from burned CD-ROM

13. Problem with GoldStar CD-ROM