Need help: keyboard problem

Post by Thomas Voi » Sat, 09 May 1998 04:00:00

Hiho,

I have some serious trouble setting up linux on my new PC.
Right after booting the first kernel with loadlin I get a "keyboard
timed out" message  and -yes, you guessed it- my keyboard doesn't
work so I can't configure anything to make the system recognize my
keyboard :-)
I found no kernel parameters that would solve the problem and
also tried several kernels. Anybody knows what's going on ?

I have P200MMX with Intel 430TX, no name board, ps/2 keyboard,
serial mouse, no SCSI. BTW, tweaking the bios setup didn't help
either.

I managed to install linux several times before so I guess I'm
no complete idiot (though I certainly feel like one in this case :-)

Any help is appreciated.

tv
--
PAM ist online !
WWW            : http://autos.cs.tu-berlin.de/studentisch/mehrheit

1. Help needed with console keyboard bindings (The old backspace/delete problem)

On my Debian 1.3.0 system, on the console, the Backspace key sends Backspace,
when, of course, it should send Delete (Don't argue with me on this point).

I've looked at the keyboard map files and at the various programs that
manipulate the keyboard bindings and can't figure out how to fix this.

The "dumpkeys" program says that key 14 (which is just to the right of key
13, the = key), sends Delete, but, unfortunately, it doesn't.  I think this
means that "Delete" is defined somewhere as being a Backspace, not a Delete.
It looks like the "loadkeys" program might be the fix, but I can't tell.

Posters with "stty"-based solutions need not apply.

Drink Coke...  (Bill Hicks - 12/16/61-2/25/94)

          hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars, every time he posts -
rwvpf wpnrrj ibf ijrfer

2. UNIX Proven Hoax...

3. Need help with foreign keyboard problem

4. Hard disk install problem

5. Keyboard-problems (help needed!)

6. CGI form scrip problems

7. Need DEC Keyboard, keyboard mappings?

8. Red Hat bash and shutdown problems

9. Help! Need multi-keyboard adapter

10. URGENT: Need help with French Canadian keyboard and keymap

11. Help: XWindows and Keyboards, documentation needed

12. Newbie help needed with bootdisk and USB mouse/keyboard

13. Help: Need pinout to try using RT keyboard on AT