Setting rights for FAT partitions

Post by Larry Inu » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:54:13

I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
file.
But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

Any help appreciated!

-L.

Setting rights for FAT partitions

Post by JP » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 01:58:18

Quote:> I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
> file.
> But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

> All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
> mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

> Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
> doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

You set perms on the directory it's mounted on.

man chmod

chmod 777 /dirname    # Full permissions
chmod 770 /dirname    # owner/group perms
chmod 700 /dirname    # owner perms

And loads of others, some prefer to use the +rw options but I can never
remember them

chown changes the owner or the directory.

HTH

JP

Post by Tim Wunde » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 03:20:26

> I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
> file.
> But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

> All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
> mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

> Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
> doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

> Any help appreciated!

> -L.

AFAIK, FAT doesn't understand Unix permissions.
If you want all users to have rw rights, mount the FAT partition with
the umask=000 option.

HTH,
Tim

Post by stev » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:37:29

> I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
> file.
> But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

> All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
> mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

> Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
> doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

> Any help appreciated!

> -L.

I had the same problem, but just figured it out.  Make sure you unmount the
directory under which your FAT partitions are mounted BEFORE you chmod 777
them.

Post by Larry Inu » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 17:22:39

> > I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
> > file.
> > But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

> > All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
> > mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

> > Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
> > doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

> > Any help appreciated!

> > -L.

> I had the same problem, but just figured it out.  Make sure you unmount the
> directory under which your FAT partitions are mounted BEFORE you chmod 777
> them.

Nope. Does not work (for me!). Adding umask=xxx and the one user that
is going to use the partition does, though. Does anyone know how i can
set umask so that more people can use the same partition?

Anyways, many thanks for your help guys.

Post by JP » Thu, 06 Dec 2001 18:03:46

> > > I've managed to mount my fat partitions by adding entries to my fstab
> > > file.
> > > But - I cannot figure out how to set rw rights.

> > > All other directories works fine with chmod and chown. But not with my
> > > mounted 'fat-directories/partitions'.

> > > Do I have to set the rw rights in the fstab file? How? Or am i just
> > > doing something wrong? (does chown/chmod work?)

> > > Any help appreciated!

> > > -L.

> > I had the same problem, but just figured it out.  Make sure you unmount
the
> > directory under which your FAT partitions are mounted BEFORE you chmod
777
> > them.

> Nope. Does not work (for me!). Adding umask=xxx and the one user that
> is going to use the partition does, though. Does anyone know how i can
> set umask so that more people can use the same partition?

What are the permissions on the directory the drive is mounted on?

1. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition

I have installed Linux with kernel 1.2.1, slakware version on CD-ROM
a year ago. Now that I need more disk space, I bought another drive
and hooked it to the same controller. Bought an enhenced controller
for the cd-rom drive and configure the system for the new hardware.

The question I have is: Can I reformat the linux partition to DOS-FAT
(or NT partition) partition or vice-versa? I want to make 2GB drive
to have NT and Linux patition on each half and reformat 540MB for DOS.

Any comments, pointers, do-don't appreciated...

--
cevher

2. Medium error: Do I need to take it back?

3. Changing Linux partitions to DOS FAT partitions

4. Redirecting Console output to Xterm??

5. add a small partition (fat) before my linux-partition (reiser)

6. Connecting to the Internet.... Minicom etc

7. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

8. User individual X settings with kdm ?

9. 12-bit FAT or 16-bit FAT for Mtools?

10. Poor fat people are fat...because they EAT TOO MUCH

11. Can Samba share Dos/FAT partitions other than Ext2?

12. Will Linux run from a Fat partition?

13. writing to FAT partitions