Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

Post by Michael W. Godfr » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 02:43:24

Hi folks,

Does anyone see any problems with this proposed dual processor Athlon
system running Redhat 7.2 (the locally supported distrib)?

-- 2 X AMD Athlon MP 1800+ CPUs
-- TYAN S22462NG PCI/AGP motherboard
    Integrated Dual Intel 82559 LAN controllers 10/100
    AMD 760-MP AGPset, 266 MHz bus, up to 3 GB RAM (4X DIMM Sockets)
-- Memory:
    2 X KVR266X72RC25/512 512MB 266MHZ DDR SDRAM REG ECC
    2 X KVR266X72RC25/1024 PC266 128X72 CL25 ECC REG DIMM 1024
-- Matrox G550 dual head video card
-- Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical wireless desktop
   (optical mouse & keyboard)

The local folks here don't know of any problems offhand ... I would greatly
appreciate any comments from anyone who knows better.

Thanks very much.

Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 03:46:43

Quote:

> Hi folks,

> Does anyone see any problems with this proposed dual processor Athlon
> system running Redhat 7.2 (the locally supported distrib)?

> -- 2 X AMD Athlon MP 1800+ CPUs
> -- TYAN S22462NG PCI/AGP motherboard

Do you mean S2462?  I don't know of a S22462.  Anyway, the 2462 is a
rack-mount board (extended atx).  So the number of slots is one short of a
standard ATX board (and I think the dimms go in at an angle).
I don't think you can stick it in a standard case.
They just came out with the 2466, which is aparently the 2460 with faster
pci slots and more ram support.
I have read a lot about the 2460, it looks like the best board available so
far.  But I bet the 2466 is good too (I quit dreaming about this system
about a month ago).  The main drawback I have seen is the requirement for
REG ram.  The latency causes the MP system to be slower than an XP system
using un-REG ram on tasks that don't use both processors

Quote:>     Integrated Dual Intel 82559 LAN controllers 10/100
>     AMD 760-MP AGPset, 266 MHz bus, up to 3 GB RAM (4X DIMM Sockets)
> -- Memory:
>     2 X KVR266X72RC25/512 512MB 266MHZ DDR SDRAM REG ECC
>     2 X KVR266X72RC25/1024 PC266 128X72 CL25 ECC REG DIMM 1024
> -- Matrox G550 dual head video card

I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
"BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

Quote:> -- Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical wireless desktop
>    (optical mouse & keyboard)

> The local folks here don't know of any problems offhand ... I would
greatly
> appreciate any comments from anyone who knows better.

> Thanks very much.

--Eric

Post by Jeff McWilliam » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 04:31:51

> I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
> skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
> under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
> to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
> Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
> support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
> "BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

Jeff

Post by moonie ; » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:50:46

> > I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
> > skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
> > under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
> > to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
> > Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
> > support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
> > "BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

> I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
> The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
> high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

> Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
> also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

> Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

> Jeff

If you will notice this is a Linux NG and the statement was refering to
the LINUX drivers not the win2000 drivers, also the article was refering
to the windows drivers NOT the Linux drivers.

moonie ;)

Post by bill davids » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 08:57:28

| Does anyone see any problems with this proposed dual processor Athlon
| system running Redhat 7.2 (the locally supported distrib)?
|
| -- 2 X AMD Athlon MP 1800+ CPUs

If you are ordering this up, why stop when the 1900+ is shipping?

| -- TYAN S22462NG PCI/AGP motherboard
|     Integrated Dual Intel 82559 LAN controllers 10/100
|     AMD 760-MP AGPset, 266 MHz bus, up to 3 GB RAM (4X DIMM Sockets)

I think you have the wrong m/b part number, but Tyan has always been
good about SMP on my systems.

| -- Memory:
|     2 X KVR266X72RC25/512 512MB 266MHZ DDR SDRAM REG ECC
|     2 X KVR266X72RC25/1024 PC266 128X72 CL25 ECC REG DIMM 1024

Unless you have it on hand, why this selection? Going to 3x1G would add
only a little, and if you need 3GB now you may need 4GB before the
system is obsolete. If you don't need 3GB get 2GB and see if the price
drops some more ;-)

| -- Matrox G550 dual head video card

Can't comment on drivers for this, if there are any I haven't seen them,
but I haven't looked, either.

| -- Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical wireless desktop
|    (optical mouse & keyboard)

As long as it looks like a mouse to the system it will work. I think
cordless mice are like cordless phones, you need to be able to page them
to find them :-( Whatever pleases you.

--

Davidsen's third rule of system administration:
  the first part of finding the solution is to find the real problem.

Post by ne.. » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 10:59:59

>> > I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
>> > skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
>> > under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
>> > to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
>> > Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
>> > support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
>> > "BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

>> I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
>> The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
>> high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

>> Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
>> also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

>> Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

>> Jeff

>If you will notice this is a Linux NG and the statement was refering to
>the LINUX drivers not the win2000 drivers, also the article was refering
>to the windows drivers NOT the Linux drivers.

My read on it is that nvidia was pitted against matrox. Well, I can
vouch for the Matrox driver. I currently use it with a G550 dual head
(32MB) card. Without Matrox's driver, would have no X. It is

not be better. OTOH, c.o.l.x with reveal the problems ppl have
with nvidia and their drivers. The nvidia is a good card, the
drivers from nvidia, however, are another story.

"If that man in the PTL is such a healer, why can't he make his wife's
 hairdo go down?"
-- Robin Williams
  8:53pm  up 17 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

Post by moonie ; » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 12:31:43

> >> I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
> >> The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
> >> high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

> >> Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
> >> also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

> >> Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

> >> Jeff

> >If you will notice this is a Linux NG and the statement was refering to
> >the LINUX drivers not the win2000 drivers, also the article was refering
> >to the windows drivers NOT the Linux drivers.
> My read on it is that nvidia was pitted against matrox. Well, I can
> vouch for the Matrox driver. I currently use it with a G550 dual head
> (32MB) card. Without Matrox's driver, would have no X. It is

> not be better. OTOH, c.o.l.x with reveal the problems ppl have
> with nvidia and their drivers. The nvidia is a good card, the
> drivers from nvidia, however, are another story.

> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
> "If that man in the PTL is such a healer, why can't he make his wife's
>  hairdo go down?"
> -- Robin Williams
>   8:53pm  up 17 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

I have never had trouble with the nvidia drivers.  I have been using
them since they started putting them out for Linux.  I currently have a
GF2Ultra 64MB AND a TNT2Ultra up and working perfectly with the drivers,
yes this is in the same system!  I believe this is what the original
poster was asking about, the ability for dual headed systems.  Just
because some people have trouble getting the drivers installed correctly
doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.  Most people don't read
the documentation.  I have installed the drivers for many systems Via,
Intel, TNT, TNT2 m64 16MB AND 32MB, Geforce and my current Geforce2
Ultra 64MB with versions ranging all the way back to the first ones.
Never had any trouble that wasn't VERY easy to fix (chinese *in MDK
8.1 kernel modules)

Nvidia actually wrote code into the drivers to specifically use the dual
headed cards in Linux, setting it up is VERY well documented on the
nvidia site.

Post by Moritz Franosc » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 19:53:10

> I have never had trouble with the nvidia drivers.

The German Linux Magazin had trouble
(http://www.linux-magazin.de/ausgabe/2001/12/index.html, the article
is not online), and this is not the first time.

In addition, nvidia drivers are closed source and therefore you
probably won't get help from the kernel mailing list if any problems
occur (if nvidia drivers are or were loaded).

Moritz

Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

Post by ne.. » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 21:56:07

[snip]

Quote:>I have never had trouble with the nvidia drivers.  I have been using
>them since they started putting them out for Linux.  I currently have a
>GF2Ultra 64MB AND a TNT2Ultra up and working perfectly with the drivers,
>yes this is in the same system!  I believe this is what the original
>poster was asking about, the ability for dual headed systems.  Just
>because some people have trouble getting the drivers installed correctly
>doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.  Most people don't read
>the documentation.  I have installed the drivers for many systems Via,
>Intel, TNT, TNT2 m64 16MB AND 32MB, Geforce and my current Geforce2
>Ultra 64MB with versions ranging all the way back to the first ones.
>Never had any trouble that wasn't VERY easy to fix (chinese *in MDK
>8.1 kernel modules)

>Nvidia actually wrote code into the drivers to specifically use the dual
>headed cards in Linux, setting it up is VERY well documented on the
>nvidia site.

Great! So can we now count on you to help out when Nvidia
issues crop up?

--
Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
The only thing better than love is milk.

Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

Post by Michael W. Godfr » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 22:24:44

Maybe I should mention that I have a Matrox G400 dual head on my current
box and it works beautifully in single head mode in Linux (it autdetected
correctly on install) and in dual head mode in Win2k (I never got around to
trying dual head under Linux).

Quote:

>Hi folks,

>Does anyone see any problems with this proposed dual processor Athlon
>system running Redhat 7.2 (the locally supported distrib)?

>-- 2 X AMD Athlon MP 1800+ CPUs
>-- TYAN S22462NG PCI/AGP motherboard
>    Integrated Dual Intel 82559 LAN controllers 10/100
>    AMD 760-MP AGPset, 266 MHz bus, up to 3 GB RAM (4X DIMM Sockets)
>-- Memory:
>    2 X KVR266X72RC25/512 512MB 266MHZ DDR SDRAM REG ECC
>    2 X KVR266X72RC25/1024 PC266 128X72 CL25 ECC REG DIMM 1024
>-- Matrox G550 dual head video card
>-- Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical wireless desktop
>   (optical mouse & keyboard)

>The local folks here don't know of any problems offhand ... I would greatly
>appreciate any comments from anyone who knows better.

>Thanks very much.

Dual Athlon 1800 MP / Tyan problems

Post by Eric Wilhel » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 02:49:52

Right, then the only problem I see with the system is that the 2462 is a
rack-mount style mb.

I looked at the matrox drivers again, the latest ones seem to support dual
head fairly well (haven't had time to try them yet)

--Eric

Post by Hwy 10 » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 11:56:12

> > I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
> > skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
> > under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
> > to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
> > Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
> > support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
> > "BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

> I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
> The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
> high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

> Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
> also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

> Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

> Jeff

Jeff, by dual head, does this mean you could have the Picture/Graphic on one
High-Resolution Monitor and the Tools on another Monitor (less needed
resolution)...????

Thanks

--
    __o      Traveling down
 _'\<,_     Life's Bike Road...

Post by Hwy 10 » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 12:01:01

> > >If you will notice this is a Linux NG and the statement was refering to
> > >the LINUX drivers not the win2000 drivers, also the article was refering
> > >to the windows drivers NOT the Linux drivers.
> > My read on it is that nvidia was pitted against matrox. Well, I can
> > vouch for the Matrox driver. I currently use it with a G550 dual head
> > (32MB) card. Without Matrox's driver, would have no X. It is

> > not be better. OTOH, c.o.l.x with reveal the problems ppl have
> > with nvidia and their drivers. The nvidia is a good card, the
> > drivers from nvidia, however, are another story.

> > --
> > Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
> > "If that man in the PTL is such a healer, why can't he make his wife's
> >  hairdo go down?"
> > -- Robin Williams
> >   8:53pm  up 17 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

> I have never had trouble with the nvidia drivers.  I have been using
> them since they started putting them out for Linux.  I currently have a
> GF2Ultra 64MB AND a TNT2Ultra up and working perfectly with the drivers,
> yes this is in the same system!  I believe this is what the original
> poster was asking about, the ability for dual headed systems.  Just
> because some people have trouble getting the drivers installed correctly
> doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.  Most people don't read
> the documentation.  I have installed the drivers for many systems Via,
> Intel, TNT, TNT2 m64 16MB AND 32MB, Geforce and my current Geforce2
> Ultra 64MB with versions ranging all the way back to the first ones.
> Never had any trouble that wasn't VERY easy to fix (chinese *in MDK
> 8.1 kernel modules)

> Nvidia actually wrote code into the drivers to specifically use the dual
> headed cards in Linux, setting it up is VERY well documented on the
> nvidia site.

How do you like the Geforce for Linux?
(use for games? Son is drooling over the newer cards and I am getting 'some' pressure
to get one and while I would like to get a dual head card -reference prior post this
thread- I do want to get something that will please us both)

Thanks

--
    __o      Traveling down
 _'\<,_     Life's Bike Road...

Post by moonie ; » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:09:26

> > > My read on it is that nvidia was pitted against matrox. Well, I can
> > > vouch for the Matrox driver. I currently use it with a G550 dual head
> > > (32MB) card. Without Matrox's driver, would have no X. It is

> > > not be better. OTOH, c.o.l.x with reveal the problems ppl have
> > > with nvidia and their drivers. The nvidia is a good card, the
> > > drivers from nvidia, however, are another story.

> > > --
> > > Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://www.veryComputer.com/)
> > > "If that man in the PTL is such a healer, why can't he make his wife's
> > >  hairdo go down?"
> > > -- Robin Williams
> > >   8:53pm  up 17 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

> > I have never had trouble with the nvidia drivers.  I have been using
> > them since they started putting them out for Linux.  I currently have a
> > GF2Ultra 64MB AND a TNT2Ultra up and working perfectly with the drivers,
> > yes this is in the same system!  I believe this is what the original
> > poster was asking about, the ability for dual headed systems.  Just
> > because some people have trouble getting the drivers installed correctly
> > doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them.  Most people don't read
> > the documentation.  I have installed the drivers for many systems Via,
> > Intel, TNT, TNT2 m64 16MB AND 32MB, Geforce and my current Geforce2
> > Ultra 64MB with versions ranging all the way back to the first ones.
> > Never had any trouble that wasn't VERY easy to fix (chinese *in MDK
> > 8.1 kernel modules)

> > Nvidia actually wrote code into the drivers to specifically use the dual
> > headed cards in Linux, setting it up is VERY well documented on the
> > nvidia site.

> How do you like the Geforce for Linux?
> (use for games? Son is drooling over the newer cards and I am getting 'some' pressure
> to get one and while I would like to get a dual head card -reference prior post this
> thread- I do want to get something that will please us both)

> Thanks

> --
>     __o      Traveling down
>  _'\<,_     Life's Bike Road...
> (*)/ (*)
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

The performance of Unreal Tournament and other OpenGL games is truly
something to behold.  Faster than the same card in windows, and it just
looks clearer and sharper to me.  This is with a Geforce 2 Ultra 64Mb
4ns DDR.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

Post by moonie ; » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:10:03

> > > I have a G400Max dual head (32MB) card.  The card is great, but I am
> > > skeptical about the drivers.  I have never tried installing their drivers
> > > under Linux because you have to have the most current X and kernel for them
> > > to work (I can't keep up).  I have had problems with the drivers under
> > > Win2000.  Have you looked at the NVIDIA dual-head cards?  I think the driver
> > > support is much better at NVIDIA. (they don't release their drivers as
> > > "BETA", Matrox will take no responsibility for their linux drivers)

> > I built a friend a Windows 2000 computer using the Matrox G450 dual head.
> > The dual head drivers work extremely well.  This system is used for
> > high resolution photo editing with tools like Adobe Photoshop.

> > Anandtech.com reviewed Dual head cards from Matrox, NVidia, and ATI and
> > also felt the Matrox cards had the best dual-head support.

> > Just my $.02 on the dual head drivers thingy.

> > Jeff

> Jeff, by dual head, does this mean you could have the Picture/Graphic on one
> High-Resolution Monitor and the Tools on another Monitor (less needed
> resolution)...????

> Thanks

> --
>     __o      Traveling down
>  _'\<,_     Life's Bike Road...
> (*)/ (*)
> http://members.accessbee.com/hwy101

Yes this is exactly how it works.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

1. Dual Athlon XP 1800+ on Tyan Thunder K7 or Tiger MP anyone?

Erm, ???  Try www.crucial.com.  It's not quite as cheap as pc133, but it's
real close.  Where are you buying?
        Nick

-

2. Video driver needed...

3. Problems installing Linux on a Tyan Tiger Dual Ahtlon XP 1800+

4. can't creat file in nfs

5. Dual athlon XP 1800 problems

6. Windows vs. everybody-else in the desktop/server markets. (Long!)

7. Ultrastor 14F problems

8. A7M266-D, dual athlon 1800+ kernel-smp APIC boot problem workaround

9. Tyan 2460/Dual Athlon MP hangs

10. UDMA resets: Dual Athlon 1800+, WD 120GB

11. Memory usage problems with 2.4.20/Athlon MP/Tyan S2466N MPX

12. Tyan Thunder K7 & 2 1.2Ghz Athlon MPs