Help with dynamic SLIP connection...

Post by b.. » Mon, 30 Jan 1995 00:49:01

Hello Linux Gurus...

I've seen untold troubles trying to setup a SLIP connection that assigns my IP
dynamically.

I have read ALL the FAQs, I have read the NET-2 text, I have read the text
that accompanies the DIP-uri program. I have also modified various sample
scripts that I have found to suit my system.

I have been successful at initiating a dip script that dials my SLIP router,
makes a connection and logs in. I CAN ping my provider, but nothing else.

It seems that internally, my system doesn't know I'm connected. I'm using the
Slackware release from Walnut Creek (the Toolkit). NET -2 is installed.

Also, some of the files that I was supposed to edit (according to the NET-2
guide) simply did not exist on my system. Some were found in different
directories, and the others I just created and saved where the guide said they
should've been.

Can someone please help? I'm actually considering going with SUN OS for pc
($99) soon-- 0r the free copy of OS/2 that I just picked up for free.

TIA, Ray Bivens
       Student of Geography
       Kansas State University

Post by The Old Cro » Tue, 31 Jan 1995 13:52:53

: Hello Linux Gurus...

: I've seen untold troubles trying to setup a SLIP connection that assigns my IP
: dynamically.

: I have been successful at initiating a dip script that dials my SLIP router,
: makes a connection and logs in. I CAN ping my provider, but nothing else.

  What version of dip?  Does it send a 'bootp' packet at the server?  If
not, you need to send it one so it will return an IP address to you.

  -Crow

/**/

Help with dynamic SLIP connection...

Post by Douglas Willia » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 03:37:07

**see previous articles if you're curious**
:   What version of dip?  Does it send a 'bootp' packet at the server?  If
: not, you need to send it one so it will return an IP address to you.

:   -Crow

What do you use in your script to send the bootp packet?  Just bootp?
Thank you for your time.
--
--------

You can't fully appreciate computer space through windows.
Well then, ahead Warp factor 3.0

Post by Ray Bive » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 14:29:18

>Subject: Re: Help with dynamic SLIP connection...
>Date: 30 Jan 1995 04:52:53 GMT

>: Hello Linux Gurus...
>: I've seen untold troubles trying to setup a SLIP connection that assigns my IP
>: dynamically.
>: I have been successful at initiating a dip script that dials my SLIP router,
>: makes a connection and logs in. I CAN ping my provider, but nothing else.
>  What version of dip?  Does it send a 'bootp' packet at the server?  If
>not, you need to send it one so it will return an IP address to you.
>  -Crow
>/**/

It sends the address as part of the message: Your IP address is
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. When I added a print $local after the get $local segment, it
says my IP address is "localhost".

I really appreciate your help (and everybody else's), but after 3 weeks of
trying to set up this SLIP connection I am getting a LITTLE doubtful. I was
able to do it in Windoze in 15 minutes!!!

Any other ideas?

1. HELP with dip and dynamic SLIP connection

Is there someone ot there that has configured dip, so it dials out to
an internet provider, using a dynamic SLIP connection.   If there is I
need help.   I just got Slackware release 3.0.  I've manajed to
configure xfree86, and most of the system.  But I'm still unable to do
any dial outs.    If somen has a script and some instructions please
e-mail me.

Luis

2. Adding user error

3. Automating Dynamic SLIP Connection

4. Games in SVGALIB on the Linux Console.

5. dip and dynamic SLIP connection

6. Apache 0.8.9 Vs 0.8.15

7. Dynamic SLIP connection

8. executable that does't work on a machine

9. dip script for slip/ppp connection with dynamic IP address

10. dynamic slip connection - my dip script

11. Can receive, but can't send e-mail with a dynamic SLIP connection

12. NFS possible with Dynamic Slip connection?

13. SLIP Connection to University SLIP Server: Need Help