Help: Linux installation boot disk won't recognize my scsi card

Help: Linux installation boot disk won't recognize my scsi card

Post by Sang Rai Ka » Thu, 09 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I have adaptec 1540B, which is same as 1542B without the floppy control.
The boot disk gave me this message.
aha1542_in failed(3): Unable to ditermine Adaptec DMA priority

I've used the boot disk v3.0.0 and other disk as well but no luck.
However I did use a boot disk came with linux 1.0.9 software package.
The boot disk does recognize it and the kernel 1.0.9 also recognize the card
and its devices.
However when I used the boot disk and install more updated kernel, let's say
v1.2.9 the newly installed kernel again won't recognize my card.  I've tried
all the latest kernel upto v1.3.1 but same message appears.

Any suggestion is welcome except flames.

Sang.

Help: Linux installation boot disk won't recognize my scsi card

Post by Harvey Fishm » Fri, 10 Nov 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

> I have adaptec 1540B, which is same as 1542B without the floppy control.
> The boot disk gave me this message.
> aha1542_in failed(3): Unable to ditermine Adaptec DMA priority

> I've used the boot disk v3.0.0 and other disk as well but no luck.
> However I did use a boot disk came with linux 1.0.9 software package.
> The boot disk does recognize it and the kernel 1.0.9 also recognize the card
> and its devices.
> However when I used the boot disk and install more updated kernel, let's say
> v1.2.9 the newly installed kernel again won't recognize my card.  I've tried
> all the latest kernel upto v1.3.1 but same message appears.

> Any suggestion is welcome except flames.

A guess, but are you sure that the card is set to the defaults for DMA?
This would have a jumper on J5-8 and no jumper on J5-7.  On J-9, there
would be jumpers on pins 2 and 6 with no jumpers on pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 7,
and 8.  Personally, in the many years that I used the AHA-1542B with many
system boards, I never found it to work reliably with DMA transfer speeds
above 5.7 MB/s.  With no jumpers on J5 pins 12 or 13 you have 5.0 MB/s and
with a jumper on pin 12, you get 5.7 MB/s.  In my experience even thinking
about putting a jumper on J5-13 is a disaster.

I moved to an AHA-2940 before I ever tried Linux, so I have never used the
AHA-1542B here.  But I used it since 1989 with DOS and OS/2.

Harvey

 Harvey Fishman   |   It is easy to live by the laws that you agree with.

  718-258-7276    |        even the ones that you think are wrong.

1. Linux (Debian) won't recognize ADAPTEC 29160N SCSI disk - Please help

Dear Linux people!

I am trying to install linux on three PCs.
The installation procedure stops very early because it cannot find the
harddrive which is an ADAPTEC 29160N SCSI disk known to work well under
Windows 2000.
The kernel is 2.4.3 and the distribution is debian 2.2r3 (from Libranet).

The installation then proceeds to ask for a floppy drive containing
'essential' modules.

I have checked every FAQ and HOWTO along with Linux cares reports. All
seem to agree that this particular disk is supported and should install
without problems.

Do I need to setup the bios diffeerntly, maybe ?

I am running out of options, so if someone knows, please give me a hint.

Thanks
Ole

Computer Sciences Lab, RSISE,  |-----------------------------------
Australian National University | Phone: +61 2 6125 8627 (Direct)
Canberra ACT 0200              | Phone: +61 2 6125 8644 (Secr.)
Australia                      | Fax:   +61 2 6125 8645/8651

2. volume manager won't work

3. HELP: Linux instal won't recognize adaptec SCSI card

4. Q: sendmail collect: I/O error, interrupted system call

5. 8 probable security errors

6. job opportunity in Montreal

7. Linux won't recognize hard disk during installation

8. Installation Problems (Boot Disk Won't Boot!)

9. SCSI Boot disk won't see PCI SCSI drive

10. DR3.0 RH Installer won't recognize SCSI disk partition

11. First time install RH 5.1, won't recognise AHA2740 scsi card