** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Post by Morris Che » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:59:11

Dear All,

I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
address from our DHCP server. RedHat 8.0 can do the job, though. I didn't
encounter this problem with older SuSE.
Any comments or directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morris

** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Post by Davi » Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:14:56

Quote:> I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
> address from our DHCP server.

Hi Morris,

Is the DHCP server a Windows machine? The Windows implementation of
DHCP does not conform to accepted standards. There is another DHCP
client available for SuSE that works with Windows, use the Yast clent
and search for DHCP.

Reagrds, David

Post by T.G. Reape » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:11:04

Quote:>> I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
>> address from our DHCP server.

>Hi Morris,

>Is the DHCP server a Windows machine? The Windows implementation of
>DHCP does not conform to accepted standards. There is another DHCP
>client available for SuSE that works with Windows, use the Yast clent
>and search for DHCP.

Not true. At home my DHCP server is a Windows 2000 Domain Controller.
It hands out addresses to both a RH7.2 box running on an Alpha chip,
and a SuSE 8.1 box on a dual x86 PIII among others. Neither Linux box
has ever had a problem with the lease issued to it.

--
Cheers
Reaper

Post by Davi » Sun, 01 Dec 2002 05:29:52

> It hands out addresses to both a RH7.2 box running on an Alpha chip,
> and a SuSE 8.1 box on a dual x86 PIII among others. Neither Linux box
> has ever had a problem with the lease issued to it.

Hi,

Just personal experience, at work we use W2K DHCP and SuSE 8.0 boxes
for development. The SuSE boxes struggled with DHCP untill we gave up
and use a range of fixed addresses. If you look at the SuSE
documentation (with 8.0) in Yast it describes the issue.

Regards, David

1. ** SuSE 8.1 DHCP client not working!

Dear All,

I have installed SuSE 8.1 on my SMP machine and its DHCP client can't get IP
address from our DHCP server. RedHat 8.0 can do the job, though. I didn't
encounter this problem with older SuSE.
Any comments or directions are more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Morris

2. Lost kbd input when swapping

3. security of IP address

4. 2.4.20-rc1: oops in drivers/acpi/namespace/nswalk.c (with patch)

5. dhcp client not work how expected on my Suse linux 8.1

6. passwd+ and/or npasswd on AIX

7. kontour does not work with fresh install of SuSE 8.1

8. Suse 8.1 Professional DHCP router hangs KDE (initializing system services)

9. Mandrake 8.1 as DHCP client

10. SUSE 8.1 Is Not Ready For Desktop

11. Toshiba Lpatop Modem not recognised under SuSE 8.1