something wrong when i try to install the Redhat 5.2

something wrong when i try to install the Redhat 5.2

Post by sam » Sun, 27 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi

i need some help from your guys. i just downloaded Redhat 5.2 from Redhat
ftp side. When i try to install it. a problem came out.

when the installation reach to the find installation files. It give me an
error saying that error opening directory. and i already try to move the
entire directory to root so the correct path is Redhat\base and Redhat\RPMS.
But the error message still there

hope to get some help

1. RedHat 5.2 Install.. What am I doing wrong?

I am a complete newbie to Linux and bought the RedHat 5.2 setup from
LSL.  Here is what I have done so far..

I have a 6 gig WD EIDE drive running Win98 on an Intel 233mmx based
system.

1.  I used Partition Magic to create some Free (UnPartioned) disk
space.  I left 750 meg of free space ahead of my Primary Partition.
Then I start the install process of RedHat.  I initially went for the
custom Install option over the Workstation or server. For some reason
I could only get 2 Linux partitions to exist at one time on the
primary.  I could get any combination of 2 - the /, /usr, or swap
partitions.  When I went for the 3rd it would always report out not
enough primary space available regardless of how much was actually
free...

2.   So, I figure that it must be a limitation of partions numbers on
the primary..  I go back to Partion Magic and reconfigure again.. This
time I set 225 megs of Unassigned space before my C: drive and 1 gig
of unassigned space ahead of my D: drive in my Extended partition.  My
plan was to assign 100 meg to the / partition and 125 to the swap
partition on primary and then use 800 meg for /usr and 200 meg for
/home on my extended partition.

Doing step 2 allowed me to move further into the install process.. Up
to the point that it was setting up ext2 on hda10 in my extended
partition free space.  It got an error that it was unable to mount the
drive.

3.  I cleaned up the partion table again and went for the Workstation
install.  I got the exact same results as in step 2.

After all three instances I had to boot Windows back up and run Norton
Disk Doctor to recover my partitions.   Then go back into Partition
Magic to clean things back up again.  I did lose all the data on my
old D: but that doesn't matter.

Would I be better off putting a second hard drive in?  I have a 1gig
hard drive laying around if it will help..  Could there be an issue
with LBA mode?  I really feel at a loss.  I have installed plenty of
DOS/Windows, Win95 /Win98, WinNT Server, and even ran OS/2 Warp and
never had this much difficulty install to a hard drive..

Please Help!!!

2. Terminfo

3. Trying to install RedHat Linux 5.2, I/O errors!!!

4. CDE Question on size of XTERM window

5. Trying to install Redhat 5.2 on Jensen DECpc axp 150

6. another Mach64 problem

7. Frustrating experience trying to install RedHat 5.2

8. Software Vampirism

9. Trying to install RedHat 5.2 in my old IBM PS/1

10. Something like cabaret in RedHat Linux 5.2???

11. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2

12. Redhat 5.2 Installation Problem - Help! - Second Try

13. Redhat 5.2 hangs when trying to create/partition extended area