Ghost NG. What to use???

Post by William Hyme » Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:10:39

What will work to back up my
partitions on SuSE Linux?
I have a dual boot Win2K + SuSE
machine and Ghost is not compatable with SuSe.

I want to save a windows partition and
all the linux partitions to image files.
(one image for each partition; or just
the Windows partition with Ghost; and all
the rest of the Linux partitions with something
else) I would prefer to do this from my dos7.0
tcp/ip boot disk, like I do with ghost.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

1. "ghost"/dupe SCSI disk alternative to Ghost?

I have an 18G drive with RedHat 6.0 Linux installed (and working great).

I would like to duplicate this 18G SCSI drive, including the boot track,
etc. to another 18G SCSI drive of the same size/tracks, etc.

I have tried using Ghost 5.1d but there is a known problem with Ghost
freezing after transferring about 10.5G. Ghost support acknowledges this
but has no idea if/when a fix will be available.

I also tried some older software I had called "SCSI Duplicator" It works
but winds up sticking a one block DOS partition in between each of my
Linux partitions (boot, swap, ...) and thus messes up the destination
disk.

I am trying to find alternative software that will duplicate a disk
containing Linux partitions. Ideally this software would be invoked from
a running a Linux server and dupe the primary disk. BUT rebooting from a
DOS disk or Linux disk is ok if the duplication is speedy and
successful. The intent is to quickly produce a backup "duplicate" of the
primary disk. The method has worked well and been a real life saver in
the past BUT now I can't use it for my systems with drives bigger than
10.5G.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks
R.Parr
Temporal Arts

2. Where can I find lint for Linux

3. using NFS -NG for me...so far

4. FAT32 r/w for 2.1.x kernels?

5. Q: Does anyone in this NG know about using EQL?

6. Newbie Question about identd and inetd.conf (linuxconf)

7. NG: Linux is using 4Mb for buffers!

8. Xv extension support for Millennium II

9. Problem with ghosting using WD90C33

10. Unable to clone and image using Ghost v6.03

11. Copying Linux partition using Ghost

12. Slow backup of computer's using Norton Ghost (on floppy disk) to Linux Samba

13. Using ghost to clone a system