A couple simple questions about Linux

Post by Will Bridewel » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm new to Linux, having only had it installed for 3 days, and I was
wondering if there is any way to have the system unmount and remount a
CD automatically when you switch discs.  Also, is there a way to do that
with a floppy?

My last question is how do I shut down pppd without rebooting my system?
I know it's a trivial task, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to
figure it out.

Any help will be appreciated.

Will

Post by Steven Bol » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I'm new to Linux, having only had it installed for 3 days, and I was
>wondering if there is any way to have the system unmount and remount a
>CD automatically when you switch discs.  Also, is there a way to do that
>with a floppy?

No. (That would need a modification of both hardware and the os, to allow
changing disks like you do it using a Macintosh)

Quote:>My last question is how do I shut down pppd without rebooting my system?
>I know it's a trivial task, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to
>figure it out.

You can kill any daemon by first typing ps -ax to get its pid, and then using
kill. Type `man kill' (and perhaps `man pppd') to learn more.

Post by Peter Rig » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>>I'm new to Linux, having only had it installed for 3 days, and I was
>>wondering if there is any way to have the system unmount and remount a
>>CD automatically when you switch discs.  Also, is there a way to do that
>>with a floppy?

>No. (That would need a modification of both hardware and the os, to allow
>changing disks like you do it using a Macintosh)

Not quite true. If you are using X and the xfm (1.3.2) file manager you can
set up automatic mount and umount in the xfmdev file, it's all in the xfm(1)
man page.

-- cut lines --

peter

Post by Raymond Scott Felle » Tue, 12 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: Hi,

: I'm new to Linux, having only had it installed for 3 days, and I was
: wondering if there is any way to have the system unmount and remount a
: CD automatically when you switch discs.  Also, is there a way to do that
: with a floppy?

: My last question is how do I shut down pppd without rebooting my system?
: I know it's a trivial task, but I'm not familiar enough with Linux to
: figure it out.

Use the ppp-off script (type ppp-off at the prompt). If it's not in your
path, you should be able to find it in the same dir as pppd.

: Any help will be appreciated.

: Will

   Raymond Fellers                        |     DOS   Windows   Linux
        The Saykally Research Group       |       AIX    System 7.5