36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

Post by Charles Sulliva » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Your numbers don't jive:
  16383 * 16 * 63 * 512 = 8.46x10^9 bytes
which is far less than 36 Gb.

If you have LBA enabled in your bios the remapped geometry
would use something like 255 logical heads, so the logical
cylinders would be:
  36x10^9 / (255 * 63 * 512) = 4376

Post by GC » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hello,

> I don't know what to do.  RedHat is only seeing 7.8GB of my disk.
> I have a Maxtor 36 GB IDE disk.  16383 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.
> LINUX only sees 5240 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.

Obviously this drive is too big for Redhat. Send it to me and I'll see
if it works under SuSE :) (I'll even pay the postage!)
GC

36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

Post by Desmond Le » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi Chad,

It's the 34gb kernel 'bug'.  Read more here:

http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Large-Disk

I can't for the life of me find the patch (fix) they are
referring to, and I've emailed the maintainer of the
howto.  If you have it, could you please let me know,
and I'll do the same.

        Des

> Hello,

> I don't know what to do.  RedHat is only seeing 7.8GB of my disk.
> I have a Maxtor 36 GB IDE disk.  16383 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.
> LINUX only sees 5240 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.

> When I use fdisk x (expert mode and add the correct settings in everything
> looks ok but the disk is still 7.8 MB.
> Please tell me what I have to do to install the disk with a ext2 file
> system.

> NOTE ** I can install the disk in Win98 make a 36 GB partition format it.
> Then when I load linux run :
> mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /hdc1
> This works fine but I need the FS to be ext2.  So I can chmod and chgrp to
> use with Samba.  How do I fix this so Linux sees the blank disk correctly?
> Pass command to LILO? hdc=16383,16,63.  But I don't know how.
> Or is it something else?

> Thanks for you help
> Chad

In perl, lazyiness often ends up making programs faster, where in C it makes
them slower. In perl, the laziest way to implement a lookup based on a
file with a lookup table is to read it into a hash. In C the laziest way
is to read the file every time.

36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

Post by dev-n.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

dont use disk druid

>> Hello,

>> I don't know what to do.  RedHat is only seeing 7.8GB of my disk.
>> I have a Maxtor 36 GB IDE disk.  16383 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.
>> LINUX only sees 5240 Cylinders 16 Heads and 63 Sectors.
> Obviously this drive is too big for Redhat. Send it to me and I'll see
> if it works under SuSE :) (I'll even pay the postage!)
> GC

36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

Post by peter gorma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I just bought a Maxtor 10 gig IDE drive which has the exact same
Cylinders/Heads/Sectors as you mention at least according to my BIOS (BIOS sees
and 8 gig drive).   Linux sees over 19,000 cylinders for the same drive - but we
are still in the 9.5 to 10 gig range.

I have successfully installed RedHat 6.0 and Slackware 7.0 on this drive.  Both
seem to work fine.
Good luck.
Peter