Learn from my mistake

Post by jd » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I recently attempted to install SuSE Linux 6.1 on my system, following
the
instructions for setting up a dual boot configuration using LILO.  It
didn't
work.  When I tried to boot with my Windows 98 boot floppy, I got
"Invalid
Drive" messages for all my Windows drives.

Thinking that Linux had hosed all my partition tables, I used my Maxtor
EZ-Bios setup disk to recover my boot track and C: partition table.

Only problem is . . . I forgot that I had converted my C drive to FAT32.

When I recovered a FAT16 partition table over the top of it, it screwed
the
poor thing up so bad that now even the Microhouse partitioning software
that
came with the Maxtor drive refuses to recognize it.  I can't even
reformat
and start from scratch.  And of course Linux is gone now too.

The saddest part is . . . if I had read my Maxtor instructions closely,
would have seen where it says to hold down the Ctrl key when the EZ-Bios
boot
message first appears before attempting to boot from a floppy, because
if you
boot from floppy the normal way the EZ-Bios drivers don't load and you
can't
see your drive.  So there was really nothing wrong with my Windows
partitions
at all.

All my files are still there, I can see them with Norton Disk Doctor,
but I
don't see any way of ever recovering that primary partition and 32 bit
fat.

I think I'll just go fall on my sword.   sigh.

jdm

Learn from my mistake

Post by dns4 » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Have you tried just letting Disk Doctor repair the drive (or even Disk
Editor).  I personally can't stand those overlay programs like
EZ-Drive.  If you can live without it in the next incarnation of your
system, maybe you can just not put it back in.  Just my thoughts.

> I recently attempted to install SuSE Linux 6.1 on my system, following
> the
> instructions for setting up a dual boot configuration using LILO.  It
> didn't
> work.  When I tried to boot with my Windows 98 boot floppy, I got
> "Invalid
> Drive" messages for all my Windows drives.

> Thinking that Linux had hosed all my partition tables, I used my Maxtor
> EZ-Bios setup disk to recover my boot track and C: partition table.

> Only problem is . . . I forgot that I had converted my C drive to FAT32.

> When I recovered a FAT16 partition table over the top of it, it screwed
> the
> poor thing up so bad that now even the Microhouse partitioning software
> that
> came with the Maxtor drive refuses to recognize it.  I can't even
> reformat
> and start from scratch.  And of course Linux is gone now too.

> The saddest part is . . . if I had read my Maxtor instructions closely,
> would have seen where it says to hold down the Ctrl key when the EZ-Bios
> boot
> message first appears before attempting to boot from a floppy, because
> if you
> boot from floppy the normal way the EZ-Bios drivers don't load and you
> can't
> see your drive.  So there was really nothing wrong with my Windows
> partitions
> at all.

> All my files are still there, I can see them with Norton Disk Doctor,
> but I
> don't see any way of ever recovering that primary partition and 32 bit
> fat.

> I think I'll just go fall on my sword.   sigh.

> jdm

Learn from my mistake

Post by jdm » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Have you tried just letting Disk Doctor repair the drive (or even Disk
> Editor).  I personally can't stand those overlay programs like

Yeah I tried a test recovery with Disk Doctor and it screwed things up
horribly.  I don't think it can cope with the fact that I overlaid a 32 bit
fat with a 16 bit backup image.

I need to be punished.  I need to suffer.  Perhaps I should go submit
myself to the Ayatollah.

: - (

jdm

Learn from my mistake

Post by gus » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> > Have you tried just letting Disk Doctor repair the drive (or even Disk
> > Editor).  I personally can't stand those overlay programs like

> Yeah I tried a test recovery with Disk Doctor and it screwed things up
> horribly.  I don't think it can cope with the fact that I overlaid a 32 bit
> fat with a 16 bit backup image.

> I need to be punished.  I need to suffer.  Perhaps I should go submit
> myself to the Ayatollah.

> : - (

> jdm

Offer your services for the Windows2000 beta process.

gus

Learn from my mistake

Post by Christopher W. Aike » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

..... or at least made to work for M$ !!!!
(He He He   Just kiddin.  Wouldn't wish that on anyone. )

...cwa

> > Have you tried just letting Disk Doctor repair the drive (or even Disk
> > Editor).  I personally can't stand those overlay programs like

> Yeah I tried a test recovery with Disk Doctor and it screwed things up
> horribly.  I don't think it can cope with the fact that I overlaid a 32 bit
> fat with a 16 bit backup image.

> I need to be punished.  I need to suffer.  Perhaps I should go submit
> myself to the Ayatollah.

> : - (

> jdm

The box said 'WIN95/98 or better.' so I installed LINUX!

Definition of Windows 95:
A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

1. Learn Linux (Open Systems) Online with Next Generation Learning Technology

Dear Members
                   Headquartered in Madurai,India. Topscorner is a
contemporary IT solution provider and leads the way to rapidly setting
next generation IT and e-Learning services model. Topscorner has
higher-ranking managerial -such as project managers, practice heads
and program managers to train the Online E- Learning
Members.Topscorner has introduced the next generation e-Learning tool
called The virtual Class Room. We train IT Professionals and students
in Complex multitask DSP & Embedded Technologies, Web Technologies,
Open Systems, VLSI Design and Microsoft Technologies through the World
Wide Web with the state of art web technology called Virtual Class
Room. we are committed to provide high standard of Education and
research assistance to the students and research activists. Our
virtual class room is capable of running media files, flash movies,
Chat windows with voice transmission and many more. And personalized
database area keeps track the student records. A high end
sophisticated web technology has been applied to keep the member zone
alive. So you cant fell that is you are away from your class room. And
you are getting the broad spectrum of liveliness and perceptions in
these virtual class rooms.

for further Details logon to http://www.topscorner.com
With Regards
Senthilkumar

2. XFree86 V.2.0 with WD90c30 Chipset

3. Learn one shell or learn them all..?

4. looking for a way to tell a machines current state.

5. Silly mistake

6. Problem with Xfs and WordPerfect 8?

7. Dumb newbie mistake setting up TZ and clock

8. user ftp like anonymous ftp

9. HELP! Deleted the users /home by mistake!

10. Dumb Newbie mistake ! so : HEEEEEEEELP pleeeze !!!

11. Are their any stupid mistakes in this iptables firewall

12. how to fix lsvg, then chfs mistake