Common Linux apps won't start in X

Post by deKe » Thu, 07 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm trying to set up dial-up networking in Linux 5.2 so I can download
the XFree86 version 3.3.3 rpms that suport my Matrox G100 vid card. At
the moment I can only get 640x480 at VGA 16 colour I believe. Anyways
when I'm in X and I click the left mouse button to bring up the menu
and then go to administration,  linuxconf and control panel will not
open along with GIMP. My theory is that they will not open because I
don't have an X supported card yet. Anyone know why they won't open?
When I installed I checked the everything box so they should be there
somewhere. Originally I was under the impression that the control
panel was supposed to be open automatically when you went into X.
I can open linuxconf when I'm not in X but after following the
"Connect to the internet via a Dial-Up Connection" guide at
www.avault.com it won't even dial in and I know I have all my settings
correct.  Another question I have is with regards to Red Hat 5.2: I
got 3 CD's -- One says CD#1 another says CD#2 and there is another
filled with software. When I installed I installed everything and only
needed CD#1 so what is CD#2 for?

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Dylan Nash

Common Linux apps won't start in X

Post by Warren Mir » Sat, 09 Jan 1999 04:00:00

open an xterm...then fire up control-panel from there or gimp or linuxconf

so u can see the problem....

hope this helps

> I'm trying to set up dial-up networking in Linux 5.2 so I can download
> the XFree86 version 3.3.3 rpms that suport my Matrox G100 vid card. At
> the moment I can only get 640x480 at VGA 16 colour I believe. Anyways
> when I'm in X and I click the left mouse button to bring up the menu
> and then go to administration,  linuxconf and control panel will not
> open along with GIMP. My theory is that they will not open because I
> don't have an X supported card yet. Anyone know why they won't open?
> When I installed I checked the everything box so they should be there
> somewhere. Originally I was under the impression that the control
> panel was supposed to be open automatically when you went into X.
> I can open linuxconf when I'm not in X but after following the
> "Connect to the internet via a Dial-Up Connection" guide at
> www.avault.com it won't even dial in and I know I have all my settings
> correct.  Another question I have is with regards to Red Hat 5.2: I
> got 3 CD's -- One says CD#1 another says CD#2 and there is another
> filled with software. When I installed I installed everything and only
> needed CD#1 so what is CD#2 for?

> Any help would be much appreciated :)

> Dylan Nash

1. X starts, apps start, but I don't see apps

ntp-server.caltech.edu!news

Hi all --

For various arcane reasons, I recently took a hard drive containing a
RedHat Linux 6.1 installation out of the computer it had been in and
put it in a new computer.  Most things worked right away, but of
course X did not work with the new display card.  I ran Xconfigurator
and made a few edits by hand to XF86Config.  Now when I run startx, I
hear the monitor click indicating it has changed resolutions and I see
a black screen with a white mouse cursor in the middle, but that is
all.  Back in the tty, ps shows that gnome and all the apps have
started, but I never see them on the screen.

A possibly-related, possibly-unrelated problem is that I cannot get
the mouse to work.  The old system had a PS/2 mouse.  The new system
has no PS/2 mouse port.  However, it does have a serial port and in
the BIOS settings it says something about PS/2 mouse support.  My
friend (who gave me the new computer) gave me a gadget that allows you
to plug a PS/2 mouse into a DB9 serial port, which he had been
successfully using with the old computer under Windows NT.  However, I
have not gotten it to work with linux (I have tried saying the
protocol is PS/2 and saying it is Microsoft; and I have tried pointing
/dev/mouse to all the various serial ports -- cua0-cua3 and
ttyS0-ttyS3) or Windows 98 which says at bootup that no mouse was
found.

Could mouse problems cause my other symptom, that the running apps
never show up on screen?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give,
Bob

2. Pine for Solaris 2.5 x86

3. apps won't start

4. FIreWAlls

5. XDM won't start apps

6. Driver for HP J2585B

7. *help* kde apps won't start

8. Passing FDs in Linux

9. apps won't start after KPPP dialup

10. app won't start- stuck in XtVaAppInitialize waiting on poll

11. X windows apps won't start

12. X apps won't use color app-defaults files