Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

Post by Don Werv » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Sorry about the crosspost, but this seems to apply to the above
newsgroups.

I'm running RedHat 5.1, with the [included] 2.0.34 kernel -- I'd like to
re-compile the kernel to include NE2000 support as well as to optimize
it for a Pentium, as I've got an AMD K6-2/333MHz system and I've noticed
that optimized kernels tend to run more quickly than the 'default' i386
Kernel.  I know I should upgrade to the 2.2 series kernel, but I'd like
to re-compile the kernel included with my distro before I try doing any
'massive' upgrades -- one step at a time, if you will.

I've tried to compile the kernel before with the following pattern:

        make mrproper; make {xconfig | menuconfig}; make dep; make clean;
        make zimage; make modules; make modules_install

I can get the kernel to compile fine, but when I load it, I get an error
about /lib/modules/preferred when I boot.  The system will run, but none
of the modules will function correctly, such as my vfat support or ppp
support.

It's irritating as hell, and I had to re-install Linux to re-gain
functionality for my system.  I'd still like to re-compile the kernel,
and install the NE2000 module, but I want to get this issue resolved
first.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Please address replies to my mailbox.

Don Werve -- http://www.iveleague.org/hari/index.html

"Never take life seriously -- after all, you don't
get through it alive."
                                          - Anonymous

Kernel Compile: Problem with 2.0.34 + RH 5.1

Post by Chris Cantwel » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

First of all, make an emergency bootdisk for future use.  Also, save your
old kernel, and configure lilo to give you the option of booting the old
kernel, as well as any new kernels you have built.  Whenever you rebuild the
kernel, rerun lilo as well.

/lib/modules/preferred is a symbolic link to the current modules directory:
ln -s /lib/modules/`uname -v` /lib/modules/preferred
This should done automatically by the init scripts, but you can do it
manually too.

Remember that when you install new compiled modules fort he same version
kernel, you overwrite the old modules in the same directory.  When
recompiling the current kernel, it might be a good idea to save the old
/lib/modules/2.0.34 directory as 2.0.34.old.

Chris Cantwell

>Sorry about the crosspost, but this seems to apply to the above
>newsgroups.

>I'm running RedHat 5.1, with the [included] 2.0.34 kernel -- I'd like to
>re-compile the kernel to include NE2000 support as well as to optimize
>it for a Pentium, as I've got an AMD K6-2/333MHz system and I've noticed
>that optimized kernels tend to run more quickly than the 'default' i386
>Kernel.  I know I should upgrade to the 2.2 series kernel, but I'd like
>to re-compile the kernel included with my distro before I try doing any
>'massive' upgrades -- one step at a time, if you will.

>I've tried to compile the kernel before with the following pattern:

> make mrproper; make {xconfig | menuconfig}; make dep; make clean;
> make zimage; make modules; make modules_install

>I can get the kernel to compile fine, but when I load it, I get an error
>about /lib/modules/preferred when I boot.  The system will run, but none
>of the modules will function correctly, such as my vfat support or ppp
>support.

>It's irritating as hell, and I had to re-install Linux to re-gain
>functionality for my system.  I'd still like to re-compile the kernel,
>and install the NE2000 module, but I want to get this issue resolved
>first.

>Thanks in advance for the help! :)

>Please address replies to my mailbox.

>Don Werve -- http://www.iveleague.org/hari/index.html

>"Never take life seriously -- after all, you don't
>get through it alive."
>                                          - Anonymous

1. Compiling RH 5.1 2.0.34

I have been trying to recompile my kernel (according to the RH 5.1
manual and the Kernel HOWTO):
make config
make dep
make clean (just for the heck of it)
make boot (or make zdisk)

After this last command, the kernel will compile, but it always faults
midway when it his the sound card object files, claiming problems with
various undefined objects.  I read the HOWTO, and it said this can
happen with an ELF compiler when compiling a 1.0.XX kernel, but this
kernel is 2.0.34, so it shouldn't happen.  I even tried disabling ELF,
but the same thing happened.  I just re-intalled the source off of the
RH 5.1 CD, so I don't think is is corrupt (unless it is on the CD as
well).

Any ideas on why this would happen/how to fix it?

Thanks-

-Richard Dillon

2. DPT SCSI Controller under Linux?

3. 2.0.34 kernel/rh 5.1/AIC-7890 works?

4. 'at' command mail

5. RH 5.1/2.0.34 filesystem problems

6. cpio and another machine's tape drive

7. ipv4/tcp.c keepalive probes ignored in 2.0.34 (rh 5.1)

8. XFree86 3.2A Millenium crashing machine

9. upgrade 2.0.34 to 2.0.35 failed (RH 5.1) - why?

10. Kernel compile problems with RH 5.1

11. please help: newly compiled kernel cannot compile (2.0.34 slackware)