Ok..."Delaying eth0 initialization"??

Post by ddmo.. » Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:49:48

This morning my box was running fine, receiving email and letting me ftp
out.  Then I pulled down a bunch of rpms, did a bunch of security stuff
(having just gotten cracked), and rebooted.  Now, my eth0 isn't coming
up.  It keeps saying "Delaying eth0 initialization", but what does that
mean? Delaying it til when, and why?  Where do I look to see what I
changed?  This happens if I use linuxconf to restart the network
service, or if I use netcfg to attempt to activate the eth0 interface
(and also during boot time).

duane

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Nathan Bel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Now, my eth0 isn't coming
> up.  It keeps saying "Delaying eth0 initialization", but what does that
> mean? Delaying it til when, and why?  Where do I look to see what I
> changed?  This happens if I use linuxconf to restart the network
> service, or if I use netcfg to attempt to activate the eth0 interface
> (and also during boot time).

My RH 6.2 laptop does the same thing but it eventually brings the interface
up.

What kind of ethernet card is it?  Is it a pcmcia card? Type 'dmesg', does
it give any extra information?  What does /var/log/messages say?

you can try to bring up the interface manually with:

ifconfig eth0 YOUR_IP broadcast YOUR_BROADCAST netmask YOUR_NETMASK

for example
ifconfig eth0 128.61.32.230 broadcast 128.61.32.0 netmask 255.255.255.0

then type 'ifconfig' and see what happens.

if you want to see where your eth0 is being initialized try
grep "eth0" /etc/rc.d/*

Hope that helps.

Ok..."Delaying eth0 initialization"??

Post by ddmo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Ok, found it.  The bunch of RPMs I downloaded also included a kernel
bump from 2.2-14 to 2.2-16.  I hadn't updated my lilo.conf at all, so it
was still trying to look for my modules in the 2.2-14 area and not
finding them (I'd also lost my sound).  Modified lilo to point to the
new image and all seems well!

Thanks for all the help!

Post by /dev/nul » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> This morning my box was running fine, receiving email and letting me ftp
> out.  Then I pulled down a bunch of rpms, did a bunch of security stuff
> (having just gotten cracked), and rebooted.  Now, my eth0 isn't coming
> up.  It keeps saying "Delaying eth0 initialization", but what does that
> mean? Delaying it til when, and why?  Where do I look to see what I
> changed?  This happens if I use linuxconf to restart the network
> service, or if I use netcfg to attempt to activate the eth0 interface
> (and also during boot time).

> duane

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I believe but may well be wrong that this happens because the you
switched
from a compiled in ethernet drive to a module AND the module is not
being
loaded at bootup because your insmod is not set up correctly.

Again I may well be wrong having not had this problem in some time, I
believe
you may find that the card is a PCI card and that either need to compile
support for the card into the kernel OR figure out how to set it up in
/etc/modules.conf.

Anyway start looking in that area and someone will correct my
misinformation.
Just be carefull.

--
   If children don't know why their grandparents did what they
did, shall those children know what is worth preserving and what

   http://www.cryptography.org/getpgp.htm

Post by MIchael Erskin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Ok, found it.  The bunch of RPMs I downloaded also included a kernel
> bump from 2.2-14 to 2.2-16.  I hadn't updated my lilo.conf at all, so it
> was still trying to look for my modules in the 2.2-14 area and not
> finding them (I'd also lost my sound).  Modified lilo to point to the
> new image and all seems well!

Nice work Duane.  My response was only about half wrong :)

-m-

Quote:> > duane

--
   If children don't know why their grandparents did what they
did, shall those children know what is worth preserving and what
should change?

   http://www.cryptography.org/getpgp.htm

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. mail filters

3. eth0 error "Delaying eth0 initialization"

4. Locating system folder with RedHat installer?

5. "delay eth0 initialization" problem

6. logical device names management

7. "Delaying eth0 Initialization"

8. kdmconfig & csh

9. "Delaying eth0 initialization" ??????

10. Q:why "delaying eth0 initialization"

11. "Delaying eth0 initialization" Error! Help!!

12. "Delaying eth0 initialization"