really basic hostname question

Post by Jon Marshal » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

excuse this really simple question:-

i'm trying to change the hostname of my machine - i use the hostname
command as root and then log out and it has changed. However after a
reboot the hostname reverts to its original name. A while back i hacked
around and manually changed all the references to the hostname that i
could find but then during boot the machine hung - about the time it got
to sendmail.
i'm running redhat4.1 on a pentium 166.

many thanks

really basic hostname question

Post by Brendan W. McAdam » Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:00:00

im having the same problem with slackware 3.3 - i change my hostname but
when i reboot the hostname resets to the default (darkstar)....

----------
Brendan W. McAdams

"Once, I woke up, and nothing was good enough" - The Caulfields

>excuse this really simple question:-

>i'm trying to change the hostname of my machine - i use the hostname
>command as root and then log out and it has changed. However after a
>reboot the hostname reverts to its original name. A while back i hacked
>around and manually changed all the references to the hostname that i
>could find but then during boot the machine hung - about the time it got
>to sendmail.
>i'm running redhat4.1 on a pentium 166.

>many thanks

really basic hostname question

Post by Roy Stogn » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>excuse this really simple question:-

>i'm trying to change the hostname of my machine - i use the hostname
>command as root and then log out and it has changed. However after a
>reboot the hostname reverts to its original name.
>A while back i hacked
>around and manually changed all the references to the hostname that i
>could find but then during boot the machine hung - about the time it got
>to sendmail.
>i'm running redhat4.1 on a pentium 166.

I had the same problem a while back - it seems that Red Hat stores the
hostname in a few places, then resets the hostname from files after each
reboot.  If it helps your confidence any, I did fix it.

You want to change the references in /etc/sysconfig/network and
/etc/hostname , at least.  I don't recall if I've done anything else
to make the change.
---
Roy Stogner

really basic hostname question

Post by Allen Ashl » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>im having the same problem with slackware 3.3 - i change my hostname but
>when i reboot the hostname resets to the default (darkstar)....

Run netconfig.

Post by Ken Kha » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> excuse this really simple question:-

> i'm trying to change the hostname of my machine - i use the hostname
> command as root and then log out and it has changed. However after a
> reboot the hostname reverts to its original name. A while back i hacked
> around and manually changed all the references to the hostname that i
> could find but then during boot the machine hung - about the time it got
> to sendmail.
> i'm running redhat4.1 on a pentium 166.

> many thanks

With Slackware, all I need to change the host name is editing /etc/hosts
With RedHat as well making the change in /etc/hosts, you have to change
some file under /etc/netconfig ??? Sorry, I do not have RedHat up
for reference. Welcome to big time *real* unix ;:)
Ken

really basic hostname question

Post by Matt Krac » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>i'm trying to change the hostname of my machine - i use the hostname
>command as root and then log out and it has changed. However after a
>reboot the hostname reverts to its original name. A while back i hacked
>around and manually changed all the references to the hostname that i
>could find but then during boot the machine hung - about the time it got
>to sendmail.

You can use the graphical tools provided by Red Hat, or you can edit
/etc/hostname, /etc/sysconfig/network, and /etc/hosts.  The machine probably
didn't lock up.  If you sit there and wait, it will boot.  Red Hat does
something really *ed up with their Sendmail config.  If your hostname
isn't listed in the /etc/hosts file, it takes a loooong time to boot up.

Quote:>i'm running redhat4.1 on a pentium 166.

You might want to upgrade to 4.2 or 5.0.

Post by Bud Roger » Wed, 17 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> >im having the same problem with slackware 3.3 - i change my hostname but
> >when i reboot the hostname resets to the default (darkstar)....

> Run netconfig.

Or edit /etc/HOSTNAME...

--

1. Really basic newbie question

I know this is a very basic question and I apologize in advance for not finding
it on my own.  I need to add a directory to my Path and need to set an
environment variable to point to a specific directory as well (for KDE
desktop).  I have read HOW-TO's until the text is dancing on the screen and
still can't completely come to grips with it - especially setting the
evironment variable.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance
for your time and trouble.

Bob

2. KDE newsgroup?

3. Really basic script input question

4. Sticky keys for the disabled

5. A Really Basic Question

6. Help! How to make logical volume ?

7. Really basic questions about Solstice Backup 6.1

8. Top 10 posters for the 7 day period ending 2001-11-11.

9. A really basic question about installing BSD

10. really basic questions

11. RH6.0: Really basic login question

12. a really basic question: calendar manager's window name

13. really, really simple question