redhat debug install error?

Post by strange » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone know if its a partition error when the install process dies
on the package read in 6.1, how do I
get pass this error? Ive read tons of info on bios limitations and
partition info, but I can't get it to pass package read. 6.2 does it
too.

redhat debug install error?

Post by Iqbal Husain Thake » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does anyone know if its a partition error when the install process dies
> on the package read in 6.1, how do I
> get pass this error? Ive read tons of info on bios limitations and
> partition info, but I can't get it to pass package read. 6.2 does it
> too.

i also had the same problem when dual booting Win98 and RH 6.1 ... windows
would install and run properly but the Linux installation would die on
package read ... i tried everything by totally cleaning the drive and
changing bios settings and all sorts of partitioning tools ... no go ...
trying different flavors of Linux etc ...

well in the end ... i found out that RAM !! (yeah, i am not bluffing) was
to blame for this behavior ... seems like windows while installing doesnt
check RAM block by block whereas Linux does ... if while installation it
encounters a bad allocation block etc on the RAM, the installation just
dies ... without any sort of errors or anything of that sort ...

so what i would suggest u do is ... if u r dual booting Win and Linux,
backup everything ... ( just in case anything goes wrong), do a low level
format of ur hard disk (just an option), change the RAM and give it
another go ... let me know if it works out ... it definitely worked for me

Iqbal.

redhat debug install error?

Post by noel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I got this problem last night ...

To get it working I had to rerun the install about 4 times because I have'nt
a clue really.

-    I had to turn the X Graphic login OFF because   it did'nt display at
all at the login screen - just brief flashes / duststorm, etc.

-    I had to select Generic mouse PS2 (emulate 3 buttons)  (instead of
Microsoft PS2) because my mouse would'nt work.

-    selecting custom install and picking what packages , ie Gopher, KDE,
etc, etc,    to install meant that I got the same problem as
        you did.
        solution:  reinstall and create a big   /usr   partition   of about
1500mb.

this solved my problems and Linux has installed successfully now.  My
graphic login still is'nt there
I login using command line
then issue command  "startx"  to open xwindows.

good luck if this helps..

>Does anyone know if its a partition error when the install process dies
>on the package read in 6.1, how do I
>get pass this error? Ive read tons of info on bios limitations and
>partition info, but I can't get it to pass package read. 6.2 does it
>too.

1. Redhat 5.1 Install error: Fatal error opening RPM database

Hi, got a 486 system, with 2 hard drives, maxtor and a WD.
I'm insalling via a WD 260 meg HD (Dos)
it reads from the dos rpms directory,
I choose what files I want, it then tells me about the log file,
then gives me a dialog box: "Fatal error opening RPM database"

When I look at Console 4, this message comes up 3 times:
Unable to Load NLS charset cp437(nls_cp437)

If anyone can point me to the right direction, I'd really appreaciate
it.

William R. Ottley

2. 1.2.8 RAM >64 Problems *Someone PLEASE respond or point in right direction* Tks

3. Redhat 5.0 install problem, Error occurred while installing bootloader

4. How can boss uudecode my unix file on his dos/mac?

5. Installing Redhat 5.0-error installing bootloader

6. best network card?

7. problem installing redhat 5.1 - error in script (RPM) reported during install

8. Patition Problem

9. ipmasqadm install error and ip masq icq install error

10. Install error on G3: "error unpacking archive: unknown error"

11. Error msg with install of redhat 6.1

12. install redhat 6.1 error

13. RedHat On Dell L500 - Error Installing Bootloader