Dual boot with win2k and RH 6.2?

Post by ibm.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Install win2k first.
Then install RH62 in different partition, also creat boot floppy disk
and put the LILO in the first sector of linux partition instead of MBR.

Now I only can boot RH from floppy disk. Win2k works fine. How can I
dual boot by using some utilities or Win2k OS loader?

Pls email me a vopy.
Thanks a lot!!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Dual boot with win2k and RH 6.2?

Post by Jim Harpe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

simple,

at the command prompt while logged in as root

# dd if=/dev/hdc6 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

extracts the bootsector file from partition 6,disk 3(the linux partition
where LILO is installed), you will have to alter this to suit your
environment.

Next copy the bootsect.lnx file which is located in the root directory to a
normal DOS(FAT16) disk using the mtools package (you will need this
installed).

Type mtools and you should get options for the command,if not it isn't
installed.

type

mcopy /bootsect.lnc a:

Once you have done this reboot into Win2k and in explorer locate the
boot.ini file (ensure you have all files shown) right-click and remove the
read-only attribute. In the context menu open the file to edit it and add
the following line at the end of the boot.ini

c:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux Red Hat 6.0"

or whatever Linux you are running

reset the attributes back to readonly and reboot!

> Install win2k first.
> Then install RH62 in different partition, also creat boot floppy disk
> and put the LILO in the first sector of linux partition instead of MBR.

> Now I only can boot RH from floppy disk. Win2k works fine. How can I
> dual boot by using some utilities or Win2k OS loader?

> Pls email me a vopy.
> Thanks a lot!!!!

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Dual boot with win2k and RH 6.2?

Post by Jim Harpe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

One little addend, you must copy the bootsect.lnx file to you c: drive

peace!

> simple,

> at the command prompt while logged in as root

> # dd if=/dev/hdc6 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

> extracts the bootsector file from partition 6,disk 3(the linux partition
> where LILO is installed), you will have to alter this to suit your
> environment.

> Next copy the bootsect.lnx file which is located in the root directory to a
> normal DOS(FAT16) disk using the mtools package (you will need this
> installed).

> Type mtools and you should get options for the command,if not it isn't
> installed.

> type

> mcopy /bootsect.lnc a:

> Once you have done this reboot into Win2k and in explorer locate the
> boot.ini file (ensure you have all files shown) right-click and remove the
> read-only attribute. In the context menu open the file to edit it and add
> the following line at the end of the boot.ini

> c:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux Red Hat 6.0"

> or whatever Linux you are running

> reset the attributes back to readonly and reboot!

> > Install win2k first.
> > Then install RH62 in different partition, also creat boot floppy disk
> > and put the LILO in the first sector of linux partition instead of MBR.

> > Now I only can boot RH from floppy disk. Win2k works fine. How can I
> > dual boot by using some utilities or Win2k OS loader?

> > Pls email me a vopy.
> > Thanks a lot!!!!

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. FAQ: How to dual boot RH 6.2 and Win2k professional?

Install win2k first.
Then install RH62 in different partition, also creat boot floppy disk
and put the LILO in the first sector of linux partition instead of MBR.

Now I only can boot RH from floppy disk. Win2k works fine. How can I
dual boot by using some utilities or Win2k OS loader?

Pls email me a vopy.
Thanks a lot!!!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. RH 9 no network connection

3. Dual Boot: WIN2K & Caldera eDESK2.4 or Redhat 6.2 Problem...

4. auto ftp script

5. dual booting win2k+redhat 6.2

6. terminate dip-session

7. Dual boot Win2K and Linux RedHat 6.2

8. tar error

9. RH 7.0/Win2K Dual Boot Trouble

10. Dual Win2K/RH 7.1 Linux booting problems

11. REQ: Help with accessing NTFS files system from RH 7.3 Win2K dual boot system

12. Boot Sun Solaris8, Redhat Linux 6.2, and WinNT4.0 using dual boot.

13. Dual-drive dual-boot RH Linux 5.1 & Win95: recommended boot manager?