linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

Post by Rocco Nicotr » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

i have plug and play linux fall 95 edition and the setup floppy fails to
recognise my
goldstar 16max atapi cd-rom drive. it is set to master on its own on ide
port 2.do i need an updated driver and if so where
     thanks for the help

linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

Post by John Malon » Mon, 22 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>i have plug and play linux fall 95 edition and the setup floppy fails to
>recognise my
>goldstar 16max atapi cd-rom drive. it is set to master on its own on ide
>port 2.do i need an updated driver and if so where
>     thanks for the help

Hi
At first Linux would not recognise my cd-rom (NEC 260 double speed) but
the driver was in there.
Some cd-roms need to be initialised or something :) anyway I boot DOS.
You can use a DOS partition or a boot disk just so long as the cd-rom
initialisation procedure completes.
Then soft boot ctrl-alt-del to Linux and it should (might) work.

Good Luck
John Malone
--

linux won't recognise cdrom - help please

Post by Rocco Nicotr » Sat, 27 Dec 1997 04:00:00

i have plug and play linux fall 95 edition and the setup floppy finds
the goldstar 16max atapi cd-rom drive but after it starts to try to read
the cd if crashes saying that sectors are unreadable on the cd and
leaves the cd-rom spinning at top speed with nothing happening until i
hit reset. it is set to master on its own on ide port 2.do i need an
updated driver and if so where
     thanks for the help
                rocco

1. CDROM: Linux won't recognize it- Please help

Try using the sbpcd sound driver.  The sound card is acting like a limited
scsi interface, but the 'standard' linux scsi drivers will not pick up
CD roms that are piggybacked off the sound card.  That is what the sbpcd
driver is for.  It will probe looking for your cd rom.  I have the same
kind of CD rom drive you do, but I have a FORTE 16 sound card instead of a
Jazz.  Try sbpcd, it should do the trick.

- Bob

Littleton, CO, USA                        WWW:    http://www.rmii.com/~kneusel

2. WordPerfect for Linux is here!

3. 'Toolkit for Linux' won't recognize CDROM

4. Combining Linux and win'95 in a network

5. Linux (Debian) won't recognize ADAPTEC 29160N SCSI disk - Please help

6. Parallel computation

7. HELP: Slackware 2.2.0 won't recognize my ATAPI/IDE CDROM drive

8. CUPS printing...

9. HELP! RedHat 6.0 won't recognize cdrom

10. Linux:Won't recognize CDROM after installation

11. Linux won't recognize CDROM

12. Linux won't recognize SB / CDROM

13. LINUX won't recognize my CDROM