sluggish startx

Post by Alan Care » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I've got a bit of a problem with my Linux machine. It just seems that
when I start X using startx, it takes ages to fire up. The same problem
occurs when I run emacs or netscape, at least 30 to 60 secs for a window
to appear. I've got 24Meg of RAM and I don't here the disk thrashing so
I'm not convinced that it's a major memory shortage. Has anyone else had
similar trouble?

Thanks in advance

Alan

sluggish startx

Post by Mike Kachli » Wed, 12 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: I've got a bit of a problem with my Linux machine. It just seems that
: when I start X using startx, it takes ages to fire up. The same problem
: occurs when I run emacs or netscape, at least 30 to 60 secs for a window
: to appear. I've got 24Meg of RAM and I don't here the disk thrashing so
: I'm not convinced that it's a major memory shortage. Has anyone else had
: similar trouble?

        What kind of machine are you running?
        What sorts of daemon processes are you running?

        Also, a good place to start would be to read:
 /usr/doc/faq/xfaq/comp.windows.x:_Getting_more_performance_out_of_X.__FAQ.gz

        One trick in there which I especially like is the idea of staggering
the times which you exec stuff in your .xinitrc. For instance, if you use
xv to do your wallpaper in .xinitrc, then start up your window manager,
instead of doing something like
xv ....&
fvwm

You would do something like:
(sleep 3;xv ....)&
fvwm

        This does tend to speed things up, due to the fact that the X server
doesn't have to deal with all of your window requests at the same time. Again,
rtfm for more info.

                                                - Mike

Michael Kachline - CS, Georgia Tech

http://brightstar.gt.ed.net/kachline/