PPP setup problems...

Post by Jim O'Donnel » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 23:18:45

I'm trying to get PPP set up on my machine. I have kernel 1.1.85 and
*thought* I compiled in support for PPP (if anyone could send me their
config file so that I can confirm this, I'd appreciate it), but on
boot up I don't get any messages with "PPP" in them, like the HOWTO
says I should. Could there be some other problem, or do I need to do
something else, or did I perhaps not compile in the right support?

I apologize for the generalness of the question; I'd hoped to post the
relevant portions of the config file for the kernel compile, but I
forgot to bring it with me. I do get an error message on boot up about
the syslogd daemon, but don't know if it's related.

Thanks!

PPP setup problems...

Post by David Anders » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 21:15:35

Quote:>I'm trying to get PPP set up on my machine. I have kernel 1.1.85 and
>*thought* I compiled in support for PPP (if anyone could send me their
>config file so that I can confirm this, I'd appreciate it), but on
>boot up I don't get any messages with "PPP" in them, like the HOWTO
>says I should. Could there be some other problem, or do I need to do
>something else, or did I perhaps not compile in the right support?

You likely need to look at the man page for pppd. (man pppd). I
had some trouble with the dialer, and to circumvent it I just wrote
a quick program that dials up the link. Other than that, running pppd
as described in the man pages seemed to work well. I was able to
do nslookup, netscape and other network programs right off the
bat.

I could post the config file, but going though the man page would
be better as there is alot of questions you will need to address
for your specific issues.

Dave

1. PPP Setup problems and general problem in fvwm

I'm using slackware 2.0.3 and I've got everything working except these
three things.

When I start a Xwindows application such as emacs or xfig, it thinks
that my screen is bigger than it is and starts the application off in
two of my virtual screen windows.  Sometimes when I start it on the
first desktop, I won't be able to move it cuz the top is un-reachable by
mouse.  Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

I have a pager that manages the desktops.  I have 12 windows in this
thing, I want to decrease this to about 4.  How do I do this?

I've been trying to set up PPP.  I have tried various methods of doing
this but no success.  I used minicom to first login to my ISP and then
quit minicom to start pppd.  I've tried a chatscript but it didn't work
either.  Does anyone know how I can use chat so that I can see what it
is sending the modem and what the modem is responding with?  It seems to
be trying to connect but hangs up on me after a while.  When I type
"ifconfig" which is what one of the documentations said, it said that
this command did not exist.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.  I've been struggling with linux
setup for weeks and I still can't get it working perfectly the way I
want it to.  It's very frustrating.

Paul Tsai

2. Quota & XFS patch

3. PPP setup problem

4. Linux and MediaGX/parallel port NIC

5. PPP setup problems

6. netscape & x

7. Yet another PPP Setup problem :) (please help!)

8. FTP Access Question...

9. PPP setup problems

10. PPP setup problem in Linux

11. PPP Setup Problems