"can not ioctl dump" Why???

Post by CC.Brut » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hallo everyone :

I'm trying to use setterm -append to dump my screen for report, but

everytime I try ,I got  the message "can not ioctl dump" and left a zero size file

"screen.dump" on my directory. Could anybody kindly tell me why?

Thanks in advance.

==Brutus==

"can not ioctl dump" Why???

Post by Andries Brouw » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: I'm trying to use setterm -append to dump my screen for report, but

: everytime I try ,I got  the message "can not ioctl dump" and left a zero size file

: "screen.dump" on my directory. Could anybody kindly tell me why?

Probably you have a new kernel and an old setterm.
Recent versions of setterm use /dev/vcs* to read the screen memory.

"can not ioctl dump" Why???

Post by Mitch DSou » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00

-->Hallo everyone :
-->
-->I'm trying to use setterm -append to dump my screen for report, but
-->
-->everytime I try ,I got  the message "can not ioctl dump" and left a zero size file
-->
-->"screen.dump" on my directory. Could anybody kindly tell me why?
-->
-->Thanks in advance.

Because in the "newer" kernels the ioctl has been changed to be a character
device of major 7. So this means you should be just able to use "cat" to
read the contents of a screen, e.g.

        cat /dev/vcs1 >/tmp/screen
        cat /dev/vcs2 >>/tmp/screen
etc...

Mitch

P.s. install the manpages version 1.9 and then do

        man vcs
and
        man vcsa