Eth0 Hangs on reboot/halt????

Post by Matt » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've got a linux box connected to the net via a cable modem /w dhcp.  It
routes my home LAN so it stays up and running for weeks between
reboots/halts.  When it has been up and running for more than a half a day
it will not shut down eth0, however.  It just hangs there and I end up
having to do a hard reboot and let it check the disk for errors.  I really
hate doing this but there's no other way to do it.  If the box has only been
up a few hours everything works fine.  Any suggestions?

Eth0 Hangs on reboot/halt????

Post by bergm.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I've got a linux box connected to the net via a cable modem /w dhcp.
It
> routes my home LAN so it stays up and running for weeks between
> reboots/halts.  When it has been up and running for more than a half a
day
> it will not shut down eth0, however.  It just hangs there and I end up
> having to do a hard reboot and let it check the disk for errors.  I
really
> hate doing this but there's no other way to do it.  If the box has
only been
> up a few hours everything works fine.  Any suggestions?

Lots of people (including me) have  had this problem, and Bob Tennant
has posted the answers.  Solution 1 (which worked for me) is to edit
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts "ifup" and "ifdown" scripts to use
the older dhcpcd in place of pump (it is the call to pump made by
ifdown that hangs):
  old ifup line: if /sbin/pump $PUMPARGS -i $DEVICE; then
  new line: if /sbin/dhcpcd -h $HOSTNAME $DEVICE; then
    (to be truthful, I really used
    /sbin/dhcpcd -h `hostname` $DEVICE;then
    in case $HOSTNAME is not defined)
  old ifdown line: pump -r -i ${DEVICE}
  new line: /sbin/dhcpcd -k

Solution 2 suggests you try a different version of pump, i.e.
pump-0.7.5-1

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Eth0 Hangs on reboot/halt????

Post by Da Ma » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If eth0 stuck when trying to shutdown trying to bring it down, unplug your
network cable from the hub of your redhat machine for the moment will work.
Redhat has such problem since 6.1, yes, just Redhat.

--
Da Man

> I've got a linux box connected to the net via a cable modem /w dhcp.  It
> routes my home LAN so it stays up and running for weeks between
> reboots/halts.  When it has been up and running for more than a half a day
> it will not shut down eth0, however.  It just hangs there and I end up
> having to do a hard reboot and let it check the disk for errors.  I really
> hate doing this but there's no other way to do it.  If the box has only been
> up a few hours everything works fine.  Any suggestions?

1. Hung Reboots & Halts

Using Solaris 2.6, I am having problems where reboots and halts are HARD
hanging the system (HARD=power cycle required).  I am running Solaris 2.6
with the latest patch set, Veritas Volume manager and several other things.

Rather than ask, what's the deal, I would like some pointers on trying to
figure out what process/program is hanging the system.

Thanks,
Greg

--

Greg Otto
Houston, Texas

2. lpd troubles

3. system hangs on reboot when initialising eth0..help?

4. Artec viewstation at6 scsi scanner

5. DOSemu screen, creating halt/reboot users, and more

6. User signals...

7. Rebooting/halting problems (Mk)

8. Any 'indent' like app?

9. AMD 5x86 won't reboot (just halt)

10. Horror halting or rebooting the system

11. reboot/halt as an ordinary (non-root) user

12. reboot/halt fails

13. SLS reboot/halt/shutdown sources?