./configure options explanation and behavior in general esp. PHP compilation

./configure options explanation and behavior in general esp. PHP compilation

Post by Vikash K Agarw » Wed, 02 Apr 2003 20:55:55

We r new to linux compilation and installation process. We have been
able to compile and install PHP successfully using the default options
as an apache DSO.

We are looking for more help/explanation on the various **type** of
options with the configuration script (./configure) like

--with-xxx
--with-yyy=DIR
--with-zzz=shared,DIR
--enable-aaaa
--disable-bbbb

These options have some *meaning in general* irrespective of the
module/extension in question -

for example, (just some data we have collected so far)
specifiying

--with-xxx means the code for this xxx module is available as part of
PHP source and will be compiled and included as part of main PHP
binary/lib OR may be the lib for this must be present on some path in
ur system and make will simply link it

OR

--with-yyy=DIR means the source for this extenstion IS NOT AVAILABLE
OR USED from the php source, and instead required from the respective
vendor or RPM. OR may be just the lib and headers are required which
is available as developer lib for the respective extension/module

OR

--enable-aaa means the code is always to PHP source but whether it
will be comnpiled or whether it will be enabled is governed by this
option

and so on .... and may be this is to do with general linux
configuration and build process, pls guide to the right tool or help
source.

Everywhere we read, we find to enable mysql use --with-mysql or
specify --with-mysql=/path/to/dir but not able to get full details of
what will happen in the build process behind the scenes, what will be
built and where and what is required from whom and where?

sorry if the question has some missing links or is not asked in the
right place, newbie problem :)

ne help and pointers are sincerely appreciated.

./configure options explanation and behavior in general esp. PHP compilation

Post by Kenneth A Kauffma » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 00:16:41

Quote:> We r new to linux compilation and installation process. We have been
> able to compile and install PHP successfully using the default options
> as an apache DSO.

> We are looking for more help/explanation on the various **type** of
> options with the configuration script (./configure) like

> --with-xxx
> --with-yyy=DIR
> --with-zzz=shared,DIR
> --enable-aaaa
> --disable-bbbb

> These options have some *meaning in general* irrespective of the
> module/extension in question -

> for example, (just some data we have collected so far)
> specifiying

> --with-xxx means the code for this xxx module is available as part of
> PHP source and will be compiled and included as part of main PHP
> binary/lib OR may be the lib for this must be present on some path in
> ur system and make will simply link it

> OR

> --with-yyy=DIR means the source for this extenstion IS NOT AVAILABLE
> OR USED from the php source, and instead required from the respective
> vendor or RPM. OR may be just the lib and headers are required which
> is available as developer lib for the respective extension/module

> OR

> --enable-aaa means the code is always to PHP source but whether it
> will be comnpiled or whether it will be enabled is governed by this
> option

> and so on .... and may be this is to do with general linux
> configuration and build process, pls guide to the right tool or help
> source.

> Everywhere we read, we find to enable mysql use --with-mysql or
> specify --with-mysql=/path/to/dir but not able to get full details of
> what will happen in the build process behind the scenes, what will be
> built and where and what is required from whom and where?

> sorry if the question has some missing links or is not asked in the
> right place, newbie problem :)

> ne help and pointers are sincerely appreciated.

--with-mysql    will compile with the PHP included mysql source/libraries
--with-mysql=/path/to/mysql    will compile with the source/libraries of an
existing code source located in your /path/to/mysql

More info:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dso.html

Ken K

1. using esp as a general purpose register

I have some assembly code where I'd like to use esp as a general purpose
register.  The routine does not access the stack, does not call any
functions, and esp is saved at the beginning and restored and the end.
Yet my program crashes unpredictably.  It always crashes in this
particular routine, but always after different intervals of time.

When I don't use esp, everything works fine.

My guess is that something OS related expects esp to point to my stack.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might use the esp register
safely?

-Kevin

2. Sleeping Habits

3. Need explanation of find command options

4. --- SEVERE RAM/DPMI/HARDWARE ERROR? PLEASE HELP ME! ---

5. Explanation needed of undocumented behavior of Ugate router

6. Cursor keys and emacs

7. Apache w/ PHP and SSL: w/ PHP OK - w/out PHP NOK

8. Webcam recommendations?

9. esp name conflict with drivers/char/esp.c

10. IMP PHP and Webmail in general

11. Help needed configuring Hayes ESP Card

12. PHP and Apache compilation trouble !

13. failed compilation apache & php on Tru64 5.1