Permissions on a mounted VFAT partitition

Permissions on a mounted VFAT partitition

Post by Grant Cale » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I've got a dual-boot NT/RH Linux setup with an extended partition that
has been created as FAT16 so that both linux and NT can use it.
I can mount the partition okay under linux and can create files on the
partition as the root user.
The problem is that any file or directory created is only editable by the
root user. If i use chmod and set permissions of 777 then nothing happens,
the permissions on the file remain rwxr_xr_x. I've tried changing the owning
group to a group that other users are a member of but linux just says that
the operation is not permitted.
The filesystem has been mounted with default options and a fs type of VFAT,
i'm not sure if this is causing the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Permissions on a mounted VFAT partitition

Post by Marc Andre Seli » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[accessing a FAT file system from Linux]

Quote:> The problem is that any file or directory created is only editable by the
> root user. If i use chmod and set permissions of 777 then nothing happens,
> the permissions on the file remain rwxr_xr_x. I've tried changing the owning
> group to a group that other users are a member of but linux just says that
> the operation is not permitted.

Read the manual page for mount(8), section "Mount options for fat".
There you will find the options uid=n, gid=n, and umask=0xxx.  Try one
of these, or a combination of them, to achieve your goal.  For
example, if you really want everybody to be able to write to the FAT
partition, mount it with `mount -t vfat -o umask=0'.

Permissions on a mounted VFAT partitition

Post by Da Bo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks for the advice, that fixed my problem.

>[accessing a FAT file system from Linux]

>> The problem is that any file or directory created is only editable by the
>> root user. If i use chmod and set permissions of 777 then nothing happens,
>> the permissions on the file remain rwxr_xr_x. I've tried changing the owning
>> group to a group that other users are a member of but linux just says that
>> the operation is not permitted.

>Read the manual page for mount(8), section "Mount options for fat".
>There you will find the options uid=n, gid=n, and umask=0xxx.  Try one
>of these, or a combination of them, to achieve your goal.  For
>example, if you really want everybody to be able to write to the FAT
>partition, mount it with `mount -t vfat -o umask=0'.

1. Mounting VFAT w/ File Permissions

Hello,

I'm trying to mount my VFAT hard drive with global file permissions. But
I'm having some problems ...

There is an area in "linuxconf" that allowed me to do this. (This nifty
utility updates my "fstab" file for me) I can setup a global owner and
group name to all my files. I can also setup a global
permission/attribute for all of the files. When I manually mount my hard
drive with the "mount" command, it works like a charm.

However: I have setup the drive to be mounted automatically at boot-up.
When the drive is automatically mounted (same configurations), it
doesn't work properly. All of the files have the right owner and group
ID's that I specified, but the file permissions are not changed to what
I specified. (As if they hadn't changed at all)

The line in my fstab looks like the following ...
/dev/hda4        /mnt/mydrive    vfat
exec,dev,suid,rw,gid=100,perm=775 0 0

According to documentation this should work. No?

Could this be a bug? Or maybe there is something I missing?
Mario

2. NFS messages

3. Permissions on vfat mount

4. How to restore Windows partition after mkfs?

5. permission problems on vfat mount

6. Openwindows size problem under Solaris 2.5.1

7. mount vfat with permissions

8. Aztec 6X CD

9. linux-2.4.10 and mount (vfat permissions)

10. permissions on mounted vfat files

11. Read/Write permissions for VFAT mounts

12. Odd permission problems with VFAT mount

13. file permissions with mounted vfat partition HELP PLEASE