Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Ignacio Valde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
Windows FOREVER!

-- IV

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Robert W. Cunningha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> Windows FOREVER!

I'm envious.  There is still one major Windows app I use that does not yet
have a Linux equivalent:  MathSoft's MathCad 8.  Once I master Wine, that
problem may go away as well.  I also have many extremely useful small
Windows utilities that I hope to convert to TCL/Tk one by one, as time
permits.  But if I'm going to be using Wine for MathCad (and it works), I
can use Wine for them as well.

Is anyone currently using MathCad 8 under Wine?

-BobC

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by frank pirron » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> Windows FOREVER!

> -- IV

Ignacio,

At the risk of starting a thread, I will add to your list for the possible
benefit of others considering crossing the suddenly not-so-great divide.
On my Dell Precision Workstation 410 running solely RH6.0 System Builder
edition preinstalled (awesome machine, incidentally) and home network, in
addition to the above excellent list:

Gnome and KDE apps too numerous to mention, Sketch, qCAD, Blender, sane,
SAMBA, XEmacs, Lyx, X11Amp, TkChooser, LinNeighborhood, BlueFish, Scream,
Midnight Commander, ICQ, IM, IRC, rpm - both console and GUI, Ghostview,
Xpdf, ical, MySQL, Postgres, Java, PHP3, InstantBasic, Wine, DOSEMU...

Now (sorry Robert Cunningham - try MuPad and SciLab) what's missing from
this list?!!

Now, as a relatively recent arrival to Linux (since May of 98) this list
contains none of the superb "classic" apps that justifiably retain an avid
if not fanatical following - Lynx, Emacs, Vim, Pine, trn ... you get the
idea.

These are "just" apps.  How about the GNU tools and Linux builtins?  Anyone
find grep, sed, awk, cut, sort, man, info, gcc, diff, uniq, ispell,
more/less, head/tail, touch, chown/chmod, cat, tee, ftp, telnet, gzip, tar
... useful?  Feel like your hands are tied in DOS/Windows?

Somebody stop me!

Frank

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Tom Hoffman » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Congratualtions.  I am sure you will never turn back.  My new year's
resolution is never to spend another nickel on windows software.  The only
application I can not find a Linux substitute for is Quicken, but then I
managed to get along before I had Quicken w/ Windows.

> Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> Windows FOREVER!

> -- IV

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Francois Labrequ » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


[snippety snip]

Quote:> These are "just" apps.  How about the GNU tools and Linux builtins?  Anyone
> find grep, sed, awk, cut, sort, man, info, gcc, diff, uniq, ispell,
> more/less, head/tail, touch, chown/chmod, cat, tee, ftp, telnet, gzip, tar
> ... useful?  Feel like your hands are tied in DOS/Windows?

[shows Penguinista membership card to avoid being flamed]

I agree with you fully, all of them are very useful, but make a poor
argument for Linux's strength compared to Mickeysoft's operating
systems.

sort, more and cat (known as "type") have been part of DOS for ever.
ftp and telnet come with Windows9x and NT.
grep (although missing a lot of functionality) is known as "find" in
DOS.
chown/chgrp/chmod have no meaning in DOS/Windows.
Most Gnutils have been compiled for the DOS/win/OS2 platform.
None of the utils you listed are "Linux builtins", they are all
utilities ported for Linux.

--
Francois Labreque | Arnold Rimmer: "Let's go to red alert!"
     flabreq      | Kryten: "Are you sure, Sir?  You realize it

  attglobal.net

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Robert W. Cunningha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> > app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> > StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> > Windows FOREVER!

> > -- IV

> Ignacio,

> At the risk of starting a thread, I will add to your list for the possible
> benefit of others considering crossing the suddenly not-so-great divide.
> On my Dell Precision Workstation 410 running solely RH6.0 System Builder
> edition preinstalled (awesome machine, incidentally) and home network, in
> addition to the above excellent list:

> Gnome and KDE apps too numerous to mention, Sketch, qCAD, Blender, sane,
> SAMBA, XEmacs, Lyx, X11Amp, TkChooser, LinNeighborhood, BlueFish, Scream,
> Midnight Commander, ICQ, IM, IRC, rpm - both console and GUI, Ghostview,
> Xpdf, ical, MySQL, Postgres, Java, PHP3, InstantBasic, Wine, DOSEMU...

> Now (sorry Robert Cunningham - try MuPad and SciLab) what's missing from
> this list?!!

These are equivalent to the "guts" of MathCad, but not the form, fit or
function.  I use MathCad BY ITSELF to perform detailed technical analyses and
the compose the associated reports.  In the "bad old days" I'd have to do
symbolic algebra in one package, data entry in another, graphic plots in a
third, and gather it all into one publication in a fourth application.
MathCad does all this in a single application, and the 100% GUI interface
makes it trivial to enter equations correctly (unlike scripted packages like
SciLab, MuPad, and Mathematica, where a typo has cost me days of work).

Plus, MathCad has a simple interface to external programs that serves to make
simulation and emulation of complex systems almost trivial.  I have literally
taken the "guts" of the PL/M and assembly code in a nuclear reactor power
level detector (an advanced neutron monitor), did an automated conversion to C
and x86 assembler, compiled the resulting code with a MathCad interface, and
was able to do detailed analysis of the system software all on my PC.  I was
able to precisely diagnose a performance problem, generate optimized test
cases to highlight the problem, then produce several solution scenarios with
differing hardware, software and timeline costs, all with detailed
mathematical justification.

There is no way MuPad or SciLab (or any other Linux program I'm aware of) can
do anything even close to that.  The only possible active path toward that
goal appears to be several of the desktop suites that do or will support
various forms of object embedding and linking.  But they are at least a year
away (at best) from anything close ot the functionality of MathCad.

But there's still Wine to try!  Only I have a lot more to learn and do before
trying it...

-BobC

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by SK » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Quote:

>There is no way MuPad or SciLab (or any other Linux program I'm aware of) can
>do anything even close to that.  The only possible active path toward that
>goal appears to be several of the desktop suites that do or will support
>various forms of object embedding and linking.  But they are at least a year
>away (at best) from anything close ot the functionality of MathCad.

>But there's still Wine to try!  Only I have a lot more to learn and do before
>trying it...

If it's going to work under wine, (and assuming you have mathcad on a
partition visible to linux, ie a dual boot situation) it's as simple
as cd (the location of mathcad, eg /mnt/hda1/mathcad), then wine
mathcad.exe
If it runs it runs....if not then you're out of luck unless you want
to hack wine code, I guess. (of course you won't have OLE)
Mathcad is a great program....I would guess there are unix versions
avaliable but probably not free ones.....
- - - - - -
__ _ _ _ _ _

"The future has a way of arriving unnanounced..." George F. Will

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by J. Paul Bissonnett » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> > app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> > StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> > Windows FOREVER!

> I'm envious.  There is still one major Windows app I use that does not yet
> have a Linux equivalent:  MathSoft's MathCad 8.  Once I master Wine, that
> problem may go away as well.  I also have many extremely useful small
> Windows utilities that I hope to convert to TCL/Tk one by one, as time
> permits.  But if I'm going to be using Wine for MathCad (and it works), I
> can use Wine for them as well.

> Is anyone currently using MathCad 8 under Wine?

> -BobC

Envy....
I'll be there soon I hope.
still have a lot to learn, and a few things to get working.
I'm using ISDN and need to fax, I've missed the whole point of leafnode
and
can't, despite of help get my news working.
Trying to find the right html editor, bluefish seems good; but cut &
paste
works sporadically

Paul

--

<a href="http://canadian-dream.com">No one can stop a dream...</a>
Canadian Dream Reise u. Immobilienvermittlung, Online Flugreservierung

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by HillBo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


I'll be joining you someday. For now I can't get my Zip drive and my AWE64
to work properly. I believe that this is Linux's biggest problem - extremely
poor device support. Say what you may about Windows but it never took me 2+
months to get midi sound or the Zip drive to work.


Quote:> Who says Linux isn't ready for the desktop? I now have every equivalent
> app on Winderz (approx $1000+ value) running on RH 6.1 ($41 delivered):
> StarOffice, Jpilot, Netscape, Gimp, Apache and on and on and on. Goodbye
> Windows FOREVER!

> -- IV

 
 
 

Going, going, going, GONE! Bye Windows!

Post by Charles Blackbu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 14:50:05 GMT, HillBoy blurted:
Quote:>I'll be joining you someday. For now I can't get my Zip drive and my AWE64
>to work properly. I believe that this is Linux's biggest problem - extremely
>poor device support. Say what you may about Windows but it never took me 2+
>months to get midi sound or the Zip drive to work.

me either, took me 2 hours start 2 finish on install.

admittadly mine's a jaz and not a zip but my SB works a charm!

--
Charles Blackburn
Summerfield Technology Limited - Official SuSE Reseller
Sponser Of the Birmingham (UK) Linux User Group


WWW: http://www.summerfieldtechnology.co.uk